Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Aviator marked "Adjusted four positions" "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
This is a new one to me. It's a Hampden 12s Aviator in the slightly more common (3k made) 19j version. I have a 17j and a 19j, and over the course of researching them I've looked at a dozen or so examples. This is the first one I've seen that's marked Adjusted to Four Positions. My initial impression was that it might be a replaced bridge plate, but the damaskeening matches, so it appears that it's a legitimate variation. Anyone know enough about the Aviator grade to comment on this variant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Near-mint-...9e6de42#ht_500wt_817

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I often find myself looking at things like this and wondering if there really were any worthwhile differences or not. When getting deep into South-Bend watches it became apparent that all their movements were adjusted to at least three positions and I believe this was true for most of the better manufacturers, Hampden included.

As the years wore on having at least the five positions specification marked on railroad movements became a requirement with some touting theirs to be six positions movements and apparently lesser movements with three or four positions were more likely so-marked if for nothing more than marketing strategy.

What I find interesting here is your other 19-Jewel example is number 3535959 which is merely marked "Adjusted" but this one with slightly higher number 3536725 has the additional "Four Positions" marking. That leads me to speculate the folks at Hampden began the additional marking at around that point.

19-Jewel "Aviator" with "Adjusted Four Positions" marking...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Yes, I agree that the whole exercise becomes a little pointless (when it comes to deciding what examples to add to a collection) when we start focusing on minutia like this. It's true that the Hampden Aviators were all adjusted to four positions (according to their own marketing material) but this is the only one I've seen so far that has that fact actually engraved on the plates...

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
I'm passing on this one, by the way. Something seems fishy about that marking. It may be legit, but I'm at a loss to find any supporting evidence, so I'm going to steer clear in case this one is re-engraved or has the wrong bridge.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
It would seem that if the seller would have gone to the trouble of adding the bridge or engraving it he would have done more to point this out in his description. I would not be surprised if it came from the factory exactly like this.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Chris,

I'm with Phil on this one. Look in your Hampden Watch Co. book and you'll notice 12s watches with the same bridge marked Three or Five positions. The font looks the same as on the auction example marked Four Positions. This variant would make a nice addition to your Aviator collection.

RR

Ebay image of movement Adjusted Five Postions

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Good points. I'm still going to pass this time, though. It's a 19j, which I already have an example of and the position marking isn't enough to capture my imagination... at least at the price it appears to be headed for at the close of the auction.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Thanks Chris for not going after this one. Wink I picked it up for less than I thought it would go for considering the condition. I especially like the unusual dial and hand combination.

With regard to the adjustment markings, I'll take some close ups of the area when I get it. Should be obvious under high magnification if this "FOUR" was added at a later date. I have an Illinois that is marked adjusted to four positions, a variant that is not in the Illinois Blue Bible, so I think it is the real deal.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Very cool! I'm glad someone here picked it up. I just couldn't justify that price when I already have very nice 17 and 19j versions. Do post some new pix when you get it...

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
For what it's worth, my watch guy just got done overhauling my 19j Aviator (the 17j doesn't need an overhaul just yet) and he was absolutely delighted with the watch. "This is really a finely made little watch. I've never worked on one before. You're lucky to have this one." that's very high praise coming from him.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Well Chris, there is your bottom-line answer to anyone who ever looks down on Hampden watches. Those who find fault with them do so out of ignorance because the truth is they really know nothing about them. Your guy had an open mind so he then learned something, in fact he learned something important.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Agreed. I really think that a lot of the Hampden criticism comes down to snobbery. Most of it seems to come from hardcore Illinois and Hamilton collectors.

My watch guy specializes in American railroad watches, and he's been working on them for the better part of the last 30 years. He had never seen an Aviator before (a testament to their rarity) and given his generally jaded attitude towards the typical 992s, BW. Raymonds and so forth, the fact that he really called out this particular watch as finely made and a real joy to work on means a lot. I'm glad I invested in two examples of the Aviator. The one referenced in this thread would have been a nice addition to my collection, but the two I already have are very cool none the less.