Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

!8s 17J Hampden "Limited" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I recently spotted an 18s open-face Hampden on the internet, one I've never seen or heard of before.It's a 17J two-tone adjusted with only "Limited" marked on the barrel plate, (also has "Safety Pinion" in the usual place.It has gilt screws and a Teske regulator with a gold index.Dial is a regular Hampden. I think this may be a private label but I have no idea who for.I looked up the SN, (1 mil.), only one close in serial number shows up in the Hampden book.Anyone ever seen one of these or have any info on them? Has to be a scarce watch.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Yes I have one of these. But my dial says "Limited" also.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Harry, sorry I didn't your post until now.I guess there are at least 2 of them around!Look like a nice unusual watch.Thanks!...Ted.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Ted it is listed in the price guide. Mine is a hunter.

Harry

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Harry, the one I saw was an open face,it was uncased and had a broken staff.It was priced around 60.00, I almost bought it, but I waited too long and someone beat me to it.You win some, and lose some as they say.I do think they're a rare one.Take care, Ted.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Harry, how about a picture of that unusual watch.
I would love to see it and I am sure others as well

Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Good idea Roger! I'm curious about the dial, I guess the one I saw must have had the dial switched, since Harry's watch has a marked dial.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Ok guys here it is. It is between cases right now. Can't decide if I want to put it in a Gold Filled Case or a Coin Case. No hurry it is not going anywhere soon...

IHC Member 1610
posted
dial

IHC Member 1610
posted
Limited kinda hard to see.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Wow that's a beauty Harry! That one is marked the same as the open face I saw, but yours has the marked dial, and the regular Hampden regulator, the other one had the Teske gold regulator.I'd bet that those were made for a private label somewhere, but there's no records, so no way to tell.There can't be many around either.Yet another Hampden mystery watch.That would really set off a gold filled hunter case! Thanks for posting it, Ted.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Your welcome Ted. This is the only one I have seen. I know there are others like the open face you saw. I had this one serviced as it did not run when I got it. It had a bad staff. It is listed in the Hampden book as Private label but does not say who for. I just checked and it is not listed in the price guide.