Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden case question. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have just acquired a very nice early Hampden pocket watch, S18 11J KW Front KS, In its original case and excellent condition all round. My question of this triple hinged 2 1/2oz case, Stamped “Warranted Silver Coin” (not coin silver), serial number 35 and no other markings. Was there a known case maker supplying Hampden in the second year of production?. Again sorry for the absence of photographs.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Just for my education, is the movement a Springfield or Canton marked movement? I thought Dueber made all their OWN cases from the get-go of the Hampden name. ConfusedRegards.Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Mark,

The movement is marked, Hampden Watch Co, and opposite Springfield Mass, face marked in capitals, HAMPDEN WATCH CO.
I am 99% certain that the case looks original, the inner cover has a single decorative band.
hope tht helps.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Most all the Hampden's I've owned to date have been in Dueber cases , so prior to the Canton move, I'm not sure either. I'm waiting for one of our Hampden experts to look in too! Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Chris: Prior to Dueber and even after, many different cases were used. I sold two coin silver Springfield's (key wind) last year and both were not Dueber and were original to the watch.

Posts: 87 | Location: Home of Hampden Watches, Canton Ohio USA | Registered: January 18, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks, I was hoping to pin it down to a maker, a long shot buy worth a try.

posted
Chris, i don,t know if this helps any.I have only 2 Hampdens.One case is marked A.W.W.Co. and the other is a Cashier case.
Hope this helps.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Seems more common that I originally thought a mix use of cases, one thing that I may hav never noticed before, it is stamped, "silver coin" not the coin silver, seemed strange? is it? did it change round to coin silver at a later date?, being case number 35 holds a interest and novelty in it own right.