Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this really a Russian Hampden watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1124
posted
Just came across this one. It has a similar layout to Hampdens but a lower level of finish. Seller states that the dial is 41mm so this probably is a 16 size. What say you?

©harles

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Charles

In the book "From Springfield to Moscow" by James W. Gibbs, on page 103 there is a photo of on of the 1st movements made in Russia. It looks just like this auction except for makers markings on the movement. So maybe it is real?

Sorry my scanner is broken so I can scan the photo from the book.

Any other comments.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
When Hampden was located to the USSR it became the Kirowski factory. The first watches made were Hapden models as it was that machinery that was used in initial production. I have had several Russial immigrant customers who verified this. One Russian watchmaker I know well told me how surprised he was when he first came here and established himself and encountered Hampden watches here. Of course in the USSR one was not informed of this historical connection.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is real, and very collectible with the pre-war dating. I picture below the same type, the top 2 pics are a 1956 Vintage. The bottom 4 pictures are a 1937 Pre-WWII with the stamped "watch" casing typical of that time. They both work quite well.

I have some of the Pocket Watches too, but these pictures really show it all. The interesting thing about the 1956 watch is the dummy Crown/Bow added at one end to hold the strap.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
That's amazing David. Adding a dummy pendant to hold the strap is a new one on me! Roll Eyes

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Here is a 15 jewel Russian Hampden David Abbe sold to me--notice the grade of workmanship on the plates
Bob

This one is a 16 size

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
posted
I see it's been a couple of years since this thread started - I hope it's OK to add this Soviet made 'Saucepan' wristwatch, with it's clear Hampden heritage.

Alan

Posts: 3 | Location: 50 miles north of London in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 09, 2011
posted
Robert, it looks like we have the same creature. Mine needs a new balance staff and seems to be missing the click spring. Regardless of condition it’s still neat to look at in comparison to a Hampden.

Alan, what a beautiful watch. Love the green numbers and clear Hampden heritage.

Posts: 6 | Location: West Side of Cleveland, Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 21, 2020