Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Consider how special a Hampden 104 really is... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here's the hard to find Hampden 104 a little-known and often unappreciated movement that is a favorite of mine. Consider the real value built into this top-of-the-line 23-Jewel Railroad Watch and next time you see one think about adding something truly special to your collection.

What a gorgeous movement, this is one fine watch...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Beautiful high-grade, highly jeweled railroad watch Lin.

In terms of quality, I'd say it's every bit as good as a Hamilton 950 or a Elgin Veritas, and today it is for much less money, but as you always say one day that will change.

Just look at that big gold jewel setting on the barrel. Eek

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
That is a beauty!

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Lindell,

Thank you for the heads up on the No 104. I recently got serial # 3278685.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Here's the inside of the swing ring case. The serial # looks like 9488079.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
I was wondering if there's any way to date the case? The movement dates to 1917 and from what I've read it could be cased in a Dueber or almost anything the customer may have wanted at the time. I'm hoping this is an original combination.

Any comments or information from Hampden experts will be helpful.

Thank you,
RR

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
I'd like to know the answer to that question as well. I've been on the hunt for a nice 104 for some time now...

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
posted
I have the 19 and 21 jewel versions and they carried the same look even including the gold jewel holder on the motor barrel. I think the 104 and 105 were also available in the center bridge movement, ditto for the Railway (19j). I agree I pick up for Hampdens when I can, one they are great watches but they tend to be under valued. I don't have a 950 since they tend to be over priced but I do have the 23j Veritas 453 and the quality of the Hampdens is as good as the better 21j Elgins or Hamiltons that I have.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree with Claude's comments about the better Hampden watches, they are on a par with similar offerings from the "Big-Three" of American producers.

Any specific dating of cases on Hampdens will be always be a problem for the reasons Richard cited and the fact we cannot even date Hampden movements with any degree of precision. It is important to recognize the fact there are no surviving Hampden records so any attempt at dating their movements will only be a "guesstimate" at best. Without original factory records there is no "control" point at which to begin. When it comes to dating cases the only ones we have been able to do with a presumption of certainty are Wadsworth because we can correlate their cases with Hamilton boxed sets and due to Wadsworth having used a reliably consecutive numbering system.

Here is one example of what I mean...

Hamilton Wadsworth Case Numbers History and Database

The best we are likely to be able to do with Hampden case and movement combinations is to determine what time-frame the movement is probably from and whether or not the case we find it in looks like it is from the same relative time-frame and of course to be fairly certain it has not held any other style or make of movement.

Hampdens are underrated bargains but interest grows as we take the first important steps toward sharing more information about them.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell and Claude,

Thank you so much for the information. I've been putting together advertisements on Dueber-Hampden and will start a new topic to share the information.

RR

posted
Lindell I am sure that if we keep talking about how under-priced the Hampdens are that trend will change, Smile I am sure that basically when it came to watch manufacturing people moved from one company to another, spreading the knowledge and as long as a brand was trying to compete in a the same price segment I tend to think the quality of the major brands like South Bend, Hampden, Waltham, Elgin, Hamilton, Illinois were in the same ballpark, shake a bag and look to see which one falls out first. I would say that for all pre-WW2 made watches, after WW2 I tend to think the economics and manufacturing strategies changed, also by then some of the mentioned brands had already waved bye bye.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
There were only 4,300 serial numbers allocated for the Model 5 grade 104.

Clearly the market has never appreciated these watches and continues to under value them compared to the other manufacturers.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I picked up this Grade 104 this week at a local mart. Serial number is 3322590.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the dial.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
It came in a Star case with only one set of case screws. Not sure if this could be an original combination.

John III