Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

W.M Kirely identification help "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1348
posted
I recently acquired my first Hampton it is a handsome little S16, 17j, stem set, open face, Model 4, Wm Mckinley grade. The movement is signed Wm Kirely
If anyone can identify this person I would sure appreciate the help. Thanks Again Don

Posts: 51 | Location: Oakland, California in the USA | Registered: January 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Don

The movement doesn't have a city or state also marked?

I will see if I can find anything.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Don

I did locate in the 1870 Philadelphia Pa. Federal census a William Kirely who is listed as watch case maker, he was born about 1810 in Wurttemberg Germany. He is married to Sophia.

Not sure if this is your guy.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1348
posted
Tom: The movement is also marked, 17 jewels, safety pinion, Canton,O. It was sold about 1908. So the Kirely you found could be relevant. I suspect he may be the father of the signer. Thanks for my only clue. Regards Don

Posts: 51 | Location: Oakland, California in the USA | Registered: January 04, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Don,
The mans signature that appears on your watch was the 25th president of the United States. Although his signature looks like Wm Kirely it's W McKinley. The president had no middle name. Here's some info.
What were the middle names of every single U.S. president?
William McKinley
William McKinley Signature

RR
W McKinley Signatue on top and Willaim McKinley on bottom

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1348
posted
Richard: Bingo! you did it again. Got a better deal than I thought. Thanks to all Don
P.S. The photo Richard posted is my watch

IHC Member 1348
posted
Hampton

I'll try again.. Don

posted
Extremely good buy IMO; but I like Hampden of this time period...

I think this is another example of the curse of cursive writing....

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011