• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help!! With my Hampden Watch Co. Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This watch is dear to me because i have lived in Springfield Mass. since 1955 and would like to get it right so here goes.The movement is marked Hampden Watch Co. Springfield Mass. and is numbered 257289 a nice early one about 1884 and is a lever set it keeps great time.My question is the dial correct it has a picture of a train fired into the dial and has a sunken secound hand ring.Both front and rear covers a screw on the rear cover has a picture of o building with a steeple like top and has a bridge and trees along side.The movement measures 42-43 mm and the dial measures 46 mm.This watch is a keepeer for me and would like to get it correct.If anybody has the correct case and dial i would like to purchase them.
Thanks Perry

Posts: 16 | Location: Springfield Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: August 07, 2004
posted
another picture

Posts: 16 | Location: Springfield Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: August 07, 2004
posted
another picture from Perry

posted
Perry,s watch

posted
rear cover

posted
front of movement

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Perry,
Your Hampden is an 18s,15j,O.F., model 3. It looks to be a grade 60, but not exactly, so I`m not absolutely sure on that. It dates to about 1883. It is adjusted so I would say it was "Railroad" grade.
The case (Philadelphia W.C. Co.) is appropriate for this period. Perhaps a "Dueber" case would be more appropriate but finding these movements in other brand cases is not uncommon.
The "butterfly" hands are very attractive and proper.
The dial numerals and style seem to be correct but the train pic on the dial looks to either be painted on or maybe a decal (are you sure it`s fired on?). I don`t think it came from the factory like that, but I am no expert.
All in all you have a very nice and attractive Hampden in great condition. If it were me, I would leave it as it is unless I knew the pic was a decal and the Hampden name in script was under the decal. In that case I would soak the decal off.

Smile Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Perry,

It is impossible to tell for sure without seeing your dial first hand, but I would not be so quick to assume that it is incorrect. If the train is in fact "fired into the dial" (under the glaze), then it is most likely an original and is also a fairly rare and collectible dial.

As a collector of these type of dials, I believe this is the first Hampden I've seen with this specific scene. I have seen similar dials in several variations on Waltham's and Elgin's as well as other Hampden's with trains on the dial.

Assuming the dial is correct, I would highly recommend keeping and enjoying the watch as it is.

Regards,

Rhett

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Perry,

Here's another Hampden with a train fired into the dial.

Rhett Lucke

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Perry,
Welcome to IHC 185, our people/friendly chapter willing and ready to help all!

P. S. Love your Hampden. Great dial!

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I am not an expert on these, but my "spider sense" tells me that your dial is probably an original. Pretty spectacular to me.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Thank you all for your replies.I tried putting a razor blade on the edge of the train picture and there is no edge at all the glaze seems to go over the train.Guess i will keep it.Is it uncommon not to have the name of the watch co. on the dial?

Thanks Again Perry

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Perry,

Glad to hear the dial appears straight and that your planning to keep the watch together. Over the years, too many of these type of dials have been removed from their original movements and placed on higher grade or flashier movements.

To answer your question, the lack of the manufacturers name is uncommon but not unheard of with these type of special order dials.

Rhett

Rhett Lucke

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome aboard Perry!

You see the "Pocket Watch People" of Chapter 185 are every bit as nice as the clock folks.

My take on your dial is, fired porcelain and original to the era, but perhaps not factory installed. You see "Hampden Watch Co." above the seconds bit on Rhett's dial, and that is what I'd expect to see from the factory.

There were a number of aftermarket dials supplied by several companies. Such dials were installed as early as point of sale by the retailer. For example, the O'Hara Dials from Boston which are highly prized by collectors.

About the case, when John C. Dueber bought Hampden in 1886 and moved it to Canton, Ohio they understandably put a strong emphasis on factory casing or at least selling a Dueber case with each movement. However, we know the vast majority of watches in those days were cased and timed at the retail level in the buyer's choice of cases available.

When your watch was produced the Dueber connection was still-to-come and like my friends Kenny, Rhett, Stephanie and Jerry I would tend to leave what you have in-tact.

A beautiful "home-town" example for you, congratulations!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002