• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Studabaker 12s question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Have anyone seen Studebaker 12s (from one of late runs)with 5 adjustments on movement (instead of 8)? Is it uncommon, any kind of unusual thing? Also there is no Studebaker name on the movement, could it be a watch completed from parts from other watches?

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
posted
not much answers, so I will post picture Smile

IHC Member 1555
posted
I've had a few of these overtime and all the ones I have had and the others I have seen Rafal, have been marked with only 8 adjustments. I vaguely remember reading someones post about the 5 positions marking but I do not know if it was here or on another forum when I have been browsing. someone more learned with South Bend watches will probably answer your query. Also a serial number would be good, as sometimes it is hard to pick-up in the pictures.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
serial number is 1122783 - database says Studebaker 12s from 1925.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
Lin previously posted this explanation in another topic...
quote:

On the "8 Adjustments" thing, South-Bend used it on Studebaker mail-order watches beginning in 1923. Both Elgin and Hamilton used it later in the 1920s as well. It's usually taken to mean 5 positions, plus heat, cold and isocronism equalling "8 Adjustments" total.

Elgin used the same designation on their post WWII "571" models. Then in the 1950s Elgin even tried "9 Adjustments" which was probably all six positions plus heat, cold and isocronism. Interestingly though, different ads for Elgin watches have shown differing formulas. An early version of "new math" no doubt.

After all, advertising people are very inventive.

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Thank you Debbie, that explain all.