• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

howard balance staff "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
can someone advise me if a balance staff from a howard series 5 is equivalent to a howard series 10 as I have a series 10 running consistently 30 seconds fast per hour and would like to swap the complete balance assembly from a series 5 to see if it solves the problem have tried everything I can thinks of (cleaning the spring demagnetizing cleaning and oiling the mechanism, balance coil appears to have good motion and doesn't appear to be touching anywhere) many thanks for any help on this issue regards jeff

Posts: 68 | Location: New South Wales, Australia | Registered: June 21, 2015
IHC Member 1650
posted
I can't say for sure that the balances interchange, but my staff chart shows 2 staffs for 16 size Howards for series 5 & 10 - a "regular" and a "friction". So, for sure the staffs interchange. With your movement running that fast, check to be sure a balance screw hasn't fallen out.

Posts: 373 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
Thanks for your help all screws in place is running exactly 30 seconds fast per hour and is consistant at that rate can you explain the difference between the friction balance and normal balance staff I'm lost on this problem many thanks jeff

IHC Life Member
posted
Hate to ask the obvious, but did you check to see that the outer coil of the hairspring is between the regulator pins?

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Yes hair spring is between regulator pins everyting looks good regarding balance and hairspring that I can see am thinking of swapping out complete balance and bridge assembly with one out of series 5 to isolate problem ? Thanks for input maybe I am missing something obvious hairspring doesn't appear to be touching anything

posted
I quiver at the thought of swapping the complete balance wheel assembly because there always seems to be an issue with the pivots on the swapped balance assembly to the upper and lower balance jewels. Or the roller table rubs on the pallet fork, etc...

If the watch is running fast 30 sec per hr. You are gaining 12 min per day.

Have you tried to add a little weight to the balance wheel to slow it down? Does that make a difference?

Does the watch gain 30 sec in all positions?

Has the watch run fast as long as you have owned it? Did you change anything? I have had watches where someone put the incorrect mainspring in and the watch will run 5 minutes slow or fast in a day.

Just food for thought - wish you the best Smile

If none of the above - before you swap maybe you could post a clear photo (use macro feature on camera) of the complete balance disconnected from the balance arm. Maybe there is a coil in the HS bent or rubbing against another coil.

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
You can also check and see if any of the balance screws are missing.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
posted
Thanks for replies watch has run fast since I purchased it, haven't tried adding more balance screws as yet, is same all positions, am a bit suspicious about main spring was hoping to swap complete balance assembly to isolate problem thinking twice about this now, any way thanks to all those took time to help me with this issue have to go to funeral 12 hours away will look into it in a week thank to all again and any further suggestion will be appreciated regards to all

posted
The FIRST thing to do is a clean and oil! Dirty watches will run fast due to low amplitude of the balance! Also a weak mainspring can cause problems. Any loss of power (many possible causes) will cause the balance to swing shorter arcs, or running fast.
Dave

www.fixmypocketwatch.com

Posts: 16 | Location: Oregon in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2015
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Jeff, I would say the last thing you need to do is,switch the balance, if you'd like I can coa,it and time it out and have it the way it is suppose to be without switching out parts, the other thing is it may have an egged out jewel that's,is allowing the staff to be to free , which can gain or lose time depending on how bad it is..but if you need the help just let me know thanks..

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
Hi Paul Davis thanks for offer to help but as in Australia is bit prohibitive still haven't solvved the problem as been away have a new mainspring going to try first thanks again for offer of help is hard here in small mining town regards jeff

posted
Hey Jeff,
I assume it has an overcoil on the hairspring. If so check to see if it is rubbing the underside of the balance cock or possibly the overcoil is tapping the center wheel. Make sure the hairspring is level and clear of the balance arms as well. Worth a look!!

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Member 1650
posted
Jeff

Another thing to try is to demagnetize the watch. Magnetism will also cause fast running.

Posts: 373 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011