• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin lever/tab "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an Elgin Grade 312, Model 6, Class 109 16s, 15 j. During disassembly, I dislodged a small tab, or lever, without having the opportunity to note its location (I normally take pictures). I believe it was around the setting mechanism, clutch, spring, etc. The piece looks kind of like a cam or a small tab with a hole on one end. I don't know where it goes nor how it is attached.
I recall from watching a video I checked out (which I no longer have to refer back to) that some watches have this tab or lever at approximately the one or two o'clock position and the purpose of the tab/lever is to allow the watch to run while being worked upon. I believe that is what the one I found loose but I am asking for your opinion.
Also, where does it go?
And how is it attached, a small screw? If it is left out, what are the consequences to the normal running of the watch?
I haven't seen such a tab/lever on other PWs; is it only found on certain Elgins?
I hope these are easy and short answers for you and I really appreciate your help!
Thank you!
John

Posts: 13 | Location: Tempe, Arizona in the USA | Registered: June 20, 2016
IHC Life Member
posted
John,
Photos of the part and the assembly you have might help.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
John welcome to IHC
here it is his picture
I would like to ask you for help on a very minor item.
I have an Elgin Grade 312, Model 6, Class 109 16s, 15 j. During disassembly, I dislodged a small tab, or lever, without having the opportunity to note its location (I normally take pictures). The piece can be seen in the attached photo near the piece of paper with "D" on it. I don't know where it goes nor how it is attached.
I recall from watching video I checked out (which I no longer have to refer back to) that some watches have this tab or lever at approximately the one or two o'clock position and the purpose of the tab/lever is to allow the watch to run while being worked upon. I believe that is what the one in the picture is for but I am asking for your opinion.
Also, where does it go? I put some "A", "B" and "C" marked pieces of paper so you can tell me where it goes. If it is not near one of those, then where?
And how is it attached, a small screw? If it is left out, what are the consequences to the normal running of the watch?
I haven't seen such a tab/lever on other PWs; is it only found on certain Elgins?
I hope these are easy and short answers for you and I really appreciate your help!
Thank you!
John

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
John I just look at one of mine size 16 elgin and that part "D" is not on my movement everything else is there just like on yours
perhaps others can be more of a help

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
I think Peter is right..I don't think that part goes to that watch..The part looks like a click off a watch but just not that watch...

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
I agree it looks like a click, but unless it was put in somewhere as a shim (I hope not), I don't think it belongs to that watch.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello, that is a winding gear click that goes on the stud under the barrel, if your barrel has a gear under it which I don't think this one does then its off of a different watch, by what I can see size wise it almost looks like one off of an 18 size watch .
Regards paul

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
That could be a new game on IHC , name this part

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
I want to thank all of you respondents to my initial inquiry. Indeed the part was a click lever from another watch someone had mistakenly "left" in the then non-working watch, now working watch!

Posts: 13 | Location: Tempe, Arizona in the USA | Registered: June 20, 2016