Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

4992B wont run on its back "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all.

Just bought a nice Hamilton 4992B in its metal carrying case and it is n really nice condition and runs nicely and keeps tie to within seconds per week PROVIDING it is not on its back.

Where should I start looking for faults? Is is just a cleaning required or is it likely to be something more sinister? Does anyone here specialize in these things and would quote me for a service?

Thanks

Bob

Bob Walder

Posts: 152 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: February 18, 2016
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
broken staff or crack balance jewel.hairspring hitting/rubbing on the balance arm if you ask me
but lets others chirp in

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Bob, your watch has as per Peter a broken jewel or staff, most likely the pivot on the staff,at the very tip is broken allowing it to run in other positions, I can repair it for you, quote , I would do a coa, and staff for 60.00 plus shipping..thanks if I can let let me know

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
wow that is very good price I will keep you in mind Paul.

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Thanks,Peter, if you need anything let me know all my prices or setup to help other collectors and sellers of watches and clocks.....

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
Paul

Thanks for replying even though I posted in the wrong section! Can I ask what a COA is please? I will probably take you up on this even though the seller has been completely unhelpful.

Bob

Bob Walder

posted
COA= Clean,Oil,Adjust

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Combining two separate topics from placement in the wrong forums into one topic and placed in the correct forum in order to keep all responses in one place.

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted

=========================================

Bob Walder
posted March 17, 2016 22:28

Got a question over in the watch repair questions forum I could do with some help on - thanks

Bob Walder
=========================================

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted

==========================================

Samie Smith
posted March 17, 2016 22:40

Bob probably has either a bad pivot on the staff or a cracked balance jewel would be my guess. There could a number of other reasons but one of the 2 things i listed are the most common problems.
SAMIE

Administrative Assistant
posted

Paul Davis
posted March 17, 2016 23:02

Hello Bob I answered your request in the other listing, but you put your watch question under the clock questions, but I did find it and can help with it..thanks,paul

Paul Davis

Administrative Assistant
posted

Dave Abbe
posted March 18, 2016 01:05

I concur, this is most often a cracked balance jewel. Cap or pivot, and/or the balance staff is damaged . . . OR (if you are really lucky) it may just need a good cleaning. A 4992 is most always worth a lot more restored anyway . . . I had a few go through my collection, my favorite was (of course) not very used . ..

Administrative Assistant
posted

William D. White
posted March 18, 2016 02:59

Based on the 992B, these watches are very robust but you might be having a problem with the balance arms fouling the hairspring in the dial-up position. A few things could be causing this; either the hairspring/overcoil is distorted or the stud is positioned incorrectly. If the hole or end jewels are damaged, in most cases it wouldn't cause the watch to stop altogether, but it could. With the movement out, I would examine the balance and hairspring assembly close up; with these watches, there should be generous clearance between all working components. The main body of the hairspring should be perfectly flat when viewed from the side. The great thing about 992B's and their variants is that servicability was a major consideration in their design.

William

posted
Thank you Debbie!

Bob Walder

posted
And thanks to all of you for responding - very helpful

Bob Walder

posted
Paul, I will definitely take you up on your offer - thank you. Email sent directly.

Bob Walder