WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin part number for roller jewel = # conversion? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
How does one go about converting a Elgin part number? Such as this roller jewel #2075 to actual measurements of width and length also material used such as rubies or whatever. I do not have one for this watch only a part number....
Jim

Posts: 30 | Location: Evergreen, Colorado in the USA  | Registered: January 21, 2018
posted
I do not know if this helps.

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
Melvin,
I greatly appreciate your response and posting of this watch artifact you have. It is too blurry to decipher for my Elgin watch because of the limited size you are permitted to up-load.
None the less, thanks a lot.

Jim

Posts: 30 | Location: Evergreen, Colorado in the USA  | Registered: January 21, 2018
posted
What is the size of your watch?
I can email you a larger copy.
mrmel.mrmel@gmail.com

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Member 1650
posted
Vincent, I have seen roller jewels vary in size, even in the same grade of Elgin movement, so trying to find a jewel by part number is probably futile.

I suggest that you measure the pallet fork - there are gauges available, similar to feeler gauges used in automotive work. You will need a roller jewel one size smaller than your measurement. You also need to state whether your watch has a single or double roller, to determine the length of jewel needed. Once these things are known, Melvin can probably supply an appropriate replacement.

If you are a novice at this, replacing roller jewels is one of the more challenging repairs.

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
Now that's what I've been looking for! thanks for the help now, so i don't forget to say it!
OK... i have instruments to measure the pallet fork and it is 0.60 exactly, no measurement adjustment made. It is a Elgin 16s double roller RR grade.
Douglas, are you suggesting to send it out for replacement to fit properly or securing it in place with shellac ensuring straightness? these are the first pitfalls that come to mind.... I look to you for guidance. i'm by no means a expert but just a 70 year old wanting to get up and at it ever morning with a purpose. I have a Bridgeport mill & a Monarch tool room lath(too big for watch repair)for the big stuff. Now a jewelers lath to do as needed. Please help me down this enjoyable hobby till the end Please...Big Thanks from a retired Navy Chief of 26 years keeping all of us safe & free!

posted
These old eyes (82+) reads my data sheet as 54 diameter, 37 profile, 95 long

IHC Member 1650
posted
Well, it is just a matter of getting the jewel in the hole, with the flat side facing the fork, straight up, and secured with a little shellac. Simple.

It sounds like you should go for it.

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
Whoa there Hombres!!!
I ain't got the jewel in hand yet nor the dough amount to pay for such a pretty lady. Lay it on me if'en you got one to turn loose of Ha,Ha!
Jim@Lennartz.US

Really, Guys, i greatly appreciate your help to make this hobby a gentlemen's hobby without the Politics.

posted
Hi watch pros,
Just an up-date, Gary C. got me all fixed up with my needs for this watch in part to you Guys help too.
Jim

posted
I was sure one of the guys would help , I was willing if you needed an 18s

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Thanks Keven for the opportunity to correspond with you.
BTW: Can you help me to find a complete balance wheel for a PF Bartlett 18s 15j model 1883, 5407753. The one in this movement is not serviceable..no that's not true, it needs a staff 0.12 pivots and a roller table w/ jewel, jewel measures: .50 width, 1.34 length.
Keven, if you need more information email me ...
Jim@Lennartz.US
P.S. your price is right, let me know.

posted
Hi Vincent , I mostly collect Illinois , The balance may have a serial # - it is REALLY BAD JU-JU to just swap it out , and although it sounds like the thing to do the balance and jewels sorta need to "fitted" as in the correct pivots and end shake adjusted , sometimes they just PoP in ok , I send most of mine to Paul Davis and Rob Carter . Lately I have been doing more repair ,but only mine . These Parts are getting hard to find , Paul mentioned he does not want to sell any {I hope thats ok} Brian Cavanaugh does sell parts pwpartsetc@webtv.net

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015