WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    Balance Staff Part# for Ball-Elgin 18s Commercial Standard Grade 331
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Balance Staff Part# for Ball-Elgin 18s Commercial Standard Grade 331 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi All,

Can someone advise on what the Balance Staff Part# for Ball-Elgin 18s Commercial Standard Grade 331 happens to be?

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
The model # and/or the S/n might help.
Mel

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
Your staff is a 2357
I do not have any in stock at the moment, sorry.
Mel

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Member 1555
posted
Apologies Melvin, Single Roller serial#118xxxxx Class 120, Model 11.

posted
You staff is an 857.
The other number I listed was for the center staff.
I have these if you want any.
mel
mrmel.mrmel@gmail.com

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello, if I am not mistaken the 18s Elgin ball single roller staff # 1902c is the factory number, with a pivot of 11, bila if this is the one you need I can send you one, and Melvin you mentioned #2357 but i dont find that staff or number in any of my books or staff sets, i even looked it up in swartchilds logs ,if I'm wrong let me know please and tell me what I missed, I am always willing to learn something new...thanks

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
Hi When I plug in the s/n this is what I get
Elgin Watch Parts: Grade 331
Go to this site

https://pocketwatchdatabase.co...11853734/parts/Staff

The staff is an 857

Mel

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Melvin , I have used that site but didn't investigate it for parts, when I replace them it's easy cause I have the one right there but matching one up with some of the info we have now days is somewhat confusing and I appreciate the extra info, one last question I know sometimes the pocket watch database has info for certain watches that isn't correct completely, is the parts log there more up to date and correct? If so you have taught me another good place to match up parts to certain watches that is better than some of the other places for info..a secondary source is a good thing..
Thanks and regards

Paul Davis

IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Melvin,

Someone has already used a #857 staff in correct for balance wheel height. I have since found that there is a minimum of 8 different variations in the #857 Elgin staff. Makes for a right royal pain in the butt Big Grin

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello bila,
Can you give us the approx. Length of the staff that was in the watch, the 857 also is listed as a short hub and long hub, which affects the length..is the original staff to short or to long....thanks
Short hub is 5.97
Long hub is 6.10
Other variations exist in this staff.

Paul Davis

IHC Member 1555
posted
It will be the short hub Paul, also needs the larger collet size. if you have some staffs I will take some depending on price?

Cheers

IHC Member 1613
posted
Bila,
Elgin 857 stAff is a standard 18 size Elgin staff..You should have them in one of the assortments you have. Bought on this group...Gary

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Not actually standard Gary, different hub heights, waist lengths which affects roller table height and also two sizes in collets.

IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello bila, I do have a few I think that matches yours, these are the hard ones to find because mostly been used out of all staff sets over time, how many do you need bila? I'll just send them to you no cost...

Paul Davis

IHC Member 1613
posted
A list of Elgin staffs in a Waltham school assortment..

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted