• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

roller table removal "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I hope i am using the correct terms here.I want to remove the roller table from a balance staff.Do i need a special tool for this job?
I was going to practice staffing a few old balances that i have before i start on a good one and ruin it.
Thanks for all help and sugestions.

Kevin

Watch Repair Expert
posted
A roller remover is tremendously helpful in removing roller tables without damaging them. It's possible to remove rollers in other ways, but I don't recommend it.

For what it's worth, there are probably more different types of roller removers than any other watchmakers tool ever made. For pocket watch work, I personally prefer the "Hardinge" type, as shown in the upper image below, but the type in the lower image isn't bad, it's just isn't as strong. For wristwatches, there are a number of specialty types, including several made by Bergeon, which really work best for smaller jobs.

BTW -- The image above was originally posted for a topic on the NAWCC Message Boards on January 30, 2001, once more showing how everything that's old, eventually becomes "new" again! Wink

===============

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Kevin,
K&D also made a roller remover tool, which could be used with a staking set.

K&D

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Kevin,
There is also one for sale on Chapter 185 Auction site.

Marshall

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Another type of roller removal tool (Swiss) and new ones are available.

Removal tool

posted
The MARSHALL tool in use.

Roller Remover Tool

posted
Kevin
This one is for Duplex Rollers.

Duplex Rollers

posted
And not to forget the REX Roller Remover tool, used with a staking set.

REX Tool

posted
Kevin
As you can see, there are many types of Roller Removal Tools, and each person probably has their own favorites.

Tool

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I received this tool in rusted condition. It took about an hour of cleaning to get it serviceable again. It's my second choice of roller removing tools for a balance with the hairspring still installed.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Hardinge Type

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Full view of tool with 16s balance.

John D. Duvall

IHC Life Member
posted
I'm not sure of the correct name or model of this tool but it's my favorite. This tool fits most 16s & 18s balances. It also can be used with the hairspring installed.

John D. Duvall

IHC Life Member
posted
I believe this tool comes in at least two sizes to cover most pocket watches.

John D. Duvall

IHC Life Member
posted
This tool can be found on eBay just about every week. They go for about $10 to $15 and are a bargain at that price.

Adding a couple of pictures in addition to Wayne's, I was trying to post this earlier this morning but I couln't connect to the site.

John D. Duvall

IHC Life Member
posted
As you can tell by the pictures, the hairspring must be removed to use this tool.

It comes in a nice wooden box with punches and stumps to cover most wrist and pocket watch sizes.

John D. Duvall

posted
Kevin
After you get the roller plate removed, make sure you have the tools to re-install it. K&D Nos. 23 to 26C, Roller staking punches are used for driving single or impulse double rollers on to the balance staffs. Make sure the proper size is selected to prevent breaking or loosening the roller jewel.

Staking Punches

IHC Life Member
posted
Kevin,

The punches that Wayne just mentioned can also be used as stumps in an inverto staking tool for use when pushing the hairspring collet on.

John D. Duvall

posted
Kevin
So you know what one of these tools looks like:

Staking Tool

posted
Kevin
If you use the REX Roller removal tool that John D. Duvall mentioned, K&D made a hairspring removal tool.

hairspring tool

posted
Kevin
And of course, when you are using a staking tool, K&D made a Brass Head Hammer, espically designed for staking tools. The brass head will not mar the punches.

Hammer

posted
Thanks for all the info Wayne and John,
I do have a staking set made by C.E Marshall.
I do not have any type of roller removal tool as of yet but, and i do not have the puches to install it either.Guess i will be looking for more tools.I know they are a good investment as there will be a fair bit of balance work comming up for me. Cool

Kevin

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
old discussion but another tool to remove the roller just got it form fellow member.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
I am a rookie trying to add to my experience base. I have a Hamilton 18s PW Grade 927, Model 2. Movement # 678161. I am attempting to replace the balance staff and I got to the point of removing the roller from the balance wheel. I have watched several videos, including one from the *****.
I have a Bradux (Swiss) roller removal tool (like the 1 in the years-old post) and I understand the concept of using the tool but no video I have seen has demonstrated its use. A couple of videos commented they didn’t like the tool but they rather preferred using an attachment which comes with staking sets. I do not have such an attachment.
Can you point me to an instruction video or otherwise provide me a “how-to” use the tool? For example, how does one hold the balance wheel steady while using the tool? I tried to use it and the roller broke off!
Any advice you can give me would be appreciated, including advice on what else to use if you also do not like this tool.

Thank you,
John

Posts: 13 | Location: Tempe, Arizona in the USA | Registered: June 20, 2016
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
John I have few different tools to remove the roller table you have to find one that works best for you, give me call I can show you how to use it.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011