Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Corking a balance "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Corking a balance

I'm having to put a couple of my chronometers into storage. One of them, a Hamilton 21 was refited with the balance locking device. My Poljot is not. I've been looking for the cork dimension but haven't had to much luck finding it.. I'd appreciate any help on that..

However, I was watching the wife slap on her war paint (I will fail to exist if she finds out I phrased it like that) with a small wedge shape makeup sponge. I was wondering if that would work instead.. Looks like it would be less stress on the balance. Thoughts???

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
An actual Cork spacer could deliver unwanted debris to the movement. As the Balance wheel is contained at both ends by very fragile "pinpoint" jeweled pivots, the only advantage of support spacer is to absorb tangential torque shocks before they break the pivots. I suggest that you get some light Styrofoam cut 2 thin pieces in 1/2" x 1" strips, squish them until they just pass in between the wheel weights and the deck plate and assemble them about 180 degrees apart. Chris Abell is certain to have a better answer.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Thanks Dave. I used the sponge which worked pretty well.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002