• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning a gilt movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am working on an E. Howard N size gilt movement that was covered with what might be dried grease or oil. I have run the movement through an ultrasonic cleaner and soaked the affected parts in Naptha when they were still dirty, but to no avail. Because it is a gilt movement, I cannot use a hard abrasive. I am hoping that someone in this group has had the same experience and may have some suggestions on what I can do.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
main plate

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
Life Member
posted
Tat is a toughie. I had a French clock come in for repair that had gilt plates with a similar problem. I was never able to find anything that would clean it. A little judicious scraping in a hidden spot, and a look-see under a 40x stereo microscope seemed to indicate that the gilt finish was gone under those spots, but I was never sure. I documented the problem with photographs and told the client. I returned the clock repaired and mechanically good, but was unable to do anything about the discoloration.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Lorne for providing the link to one of our previous informative discussions!

Smile

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002