Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A question for Tom Brown or Chris Abell "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Tom & Chris,

I know it was a couple of years ago Tom & Chris, but were you ever able to source the balance staff for the Waltham model 1860, and if so would you be able to point me in the right direction please as I need a couple?

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Billa,
Not what you want to hear but if I remember I couldn’t find one so just made a new one myself in the end was the easiest way.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Chris, might have to do the same if no one knows where I can find one. I have all the dimensions from George Townsends 'Interchangeability list' guide, I was just trying to save myself some work.

Best Regards,
Bila

IHC Member 1650
posted
Bila

I'm currently working on a Waltham 1860 - #280466. If you could share the balance staff dimensions, I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm not sure the staff that I took out was correct. It looks like the balance cock has been bent to make a too-long staff work. I ordered what was supposed to be the correct one from Cas-Ker, but it doesn't seem right, either.

Thanks

Doug

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Doug,

Original Waltham Part# 926, Dimensions as follows;

Overall Length: 6.27mm

Bottom Length: 3.45mm (this is from the seating surface of the balance to the end of lower pivot)

Single Roller Shoulder: 6.11mm

Balance Shoulder Diameter: 1.25mm

Pivot: .11mm (please check your Jewel hole size as this can vary.)

Hair Spring Shoulder Diameter: .90mm

All Credit for info on Sizes are from "Balance Staff Charts" by W.H.N

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bila

IHC Member 1650
posted
Bila

Thanks for the quick response. That's just what I need. One question, though. Could the roller shoulder be .61 in stead of 6.11?

Thanks

Doug

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
You are correct Doug, my stuff up, I did not proof read what I had written. Also forgot to mention a lot of these older pocket watches have a different height jewel for top and bottom. If they have been located in the wrong place i.e cock jewel in the pillar plate or vice versa you will have a balance staff that appears to be the wrong length.

Cheers