Tools
Reply to Post

John Flahive's New eBay Store "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Folks,

In anticipation of losing my job in the very near future, I have opened an eBay store called JJ's Watches and Coins.

I will be selling pocket watches, wrist watches, dollar watches, clocks, watch parts, and other items of horological interest. My other favorite hobby - coin collecting - will be well represented also. My five year old also insisted that we sell Star Wars Legos so I have a Collectibles area on the store too. Smile

My goal for this eBay store is to treat each and every customer like I like to be treated on eBay:

- Provide thorough and easy to read descriptions.
- Start each item low with NO RESERVE.
- Describe each item's flaws so customer's are pleasantly surprised when they get the item home.
- Ship everything within one day of the end of the auction.
- Be courteous and professional in all communications.

We all have an obligation as members of IHC185 to be ethical and preserve horological history whenever posible. To that end, I would like to pass along that I do NOT part out watches unless they are obviously not original combinations. I have plenty of parts to sell as it is - dials, cases, hands, screws, etc, (many that are NOS) without having to resort to breaking apart watches for eBay.

There are several great role models in IHC185 from whom I have purchased watches and parts on eBay. I hope I can represent our Chapter as well as they have.

John III

IHC Member 638
posted
Bravo John!!!! Best of Luck with your new endeavor.

Mike Smile

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
John,

Good looking site! I,ve added you to my bookmarks.

Bob

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Hey John I will say the best of Luck to you but you will do fine. You have good standards as I always have had in treating customers well. THat has me a long following of faithful buyers. Don’t get discouraged when you get that one customer that throws a negative at you for no apparent reason. I kept a 100% pos for a long while but the longer you deal with the public you will eventually run into someone who you will never make happy or one you will never know what you did wrong. Take care and keep in touch. Rob

posted
Best of luck to you, John, in your new pursuit. I'll be stopping by your store from time to time. Hope to see you at the Great Lakes Regional this year.

George.

posted
Hi John, All my best on your new endeavor. Let's hope that you hang on to your day job.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks to all for the kind words. It has been fun so far! Now I just have to quit buying so much... Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
You never buy too much John especially if you are going to be selling full time. Anytime you can get a deal you better take it because there will be dry times when no deals come around and it is always nice to have a surplus of items to sell to keep you going.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
I have restarted selling on my ebaY store this week. Smile

JJ's Watches and Coins

It has taken me almost a year to get my life back to normal after losing my job and moving to Canada from Michigan. I've also traveled internationally several times in my new job and have a 2+ hr roundtrip commute so my precious hometime has been mainly focused on my family. I finally feel like I have some room to breath and some time to get back to selling.

Anyway, I'll be selling a bunch of vintage wrist watches, some pocket watches, and other miscellaneous horological-related items in the next few months. I also sell proof Jefferson nickels for the numismatists among us. I'm not a dealer - I just sell stuff that I don't want anymore to subsidize my watch and coin buying habits. Wink

As I said in the first posting above, I try to be as objective as I can in my listings so that the buyer is pleasantly surprised when they get the item home. I also normally don't do reserves since I believe items will eventually get to the price they are worth in a one week auction. Having bought a bunch of watches on-line myself, I try to treat buyers as I would like to be treated if I was in their shoes.

Basically if you follow "The Golden Rule" you can't go wrong.

John III

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Hi John, Best of luck to you. I lost my job at age 51. It was tough on me but made it through and i'm retired now. Regards Ted

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Good morning John. Smile I just visited your re-activated store. I know you will do well. It is gentlemen like yourself, who treat other folks with dignity and respect, that may always count on good things coming to them. Wink

If I can ever do anything to assist you in anyway, please feel that I am your brother and you may count on me also.

Phil.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Ted and Phil,

Thanks for the kind words. It is good to have friends!

John III