WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is This Hamilton 936 "Chesapeake & Ohio Special" Unusual? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1650
posted
I recently found this sad looking 936 in an antique mall.

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1650
posted
The dial looks even worse without the bezel.

IHC Member 1650
posted
OK. Here's my question. I can't find anything about a Chesapeake & Ohio Special. Is this unusual? Should the dial also be Chesapeake & Ohio?

To get the watch running correctly, I'll need a regulator arm and a mainspring, but at least the balance is good.

posted
This watch is a private label and the chances are not that many were made. Private label 936's are fairly common but most are marked with jewelers names & not a railroad. This one was sold to J. W. Forsinger Co. in Chicago on 12-31-1900. There is no mention in the ledger list of it being a private label which is normal.
Since the C&O ran into Chicago, Forsinger maybe had a few made up to sell to railway men in the area. As far as the dial is concerned, Hamilton private labels could be ordered with just the movement marked or both the movement and dial. No way to tell which this was. The dial that is on it is the correct vintage for 1900 and replacements are common. A neat 936 and well worth fixing up.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Hamilton 936 C&O Special #128724

Nice watch Douglas, well worth fixing and keeping, parts should be easy to find.

As Robert said it was sold to Forsinger, along with 5 others #128724 - 128729.

Just a guess but I would think it had a Forsinger dial when new.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011

posted
Just a little worth fixing up - Doug...

The 936 C/O Special is booked as a 3 star watch with a value of 2k 3.5k or 5.5k

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
quote:
Just a little worth fixing up - Doug...

The 936 C/O Special is booked as a 3 star watch with a value of 2k 3.5k or 5.5k

Holy crap! I missed that, I was just looking on page 227.

Douglas, look at page 229 of the 2015 price guide.

I have read of a 934 C&O Railway Special with a different jewellers name on the dial but the 934 is only adjusted to temperature.

936 is adjusted to Temp. Isochronism and 5 positions.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
A little more research on these. They were sold by W.L. Fredeking of Hinton WV, a C&O railroad watch inspector, and the correct dial would have his name on it. The Chesapeake & Ohio Specials were made on both 936 and 940 movements. There were also 936 Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Specials and 934 & 936 Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Specials.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
I have seen these C&O watches with the marked W.L. Fredeking of Hinton WV dials.

Your watch will also need a proper set of hands. I think I can see the 4th wheel post for the second hand. Hopefully, it is there.

You have a great collectable there Douglas!!

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
posted
I found a pic in my files.

Rob
www.pocketwatchrepairs.net

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Member 1650
posted
Robert, Lorne, Rob & Jon

Thanks for the detailed info! I don't know why I didn't think to check the price guide.

I found this watch near Springfield OH, which is about 5 1/2 hours from Hinton, WV.

It was in a zip lock bag with a dollar watch, a stop watch, and 2 other pieces of junk. I bought the bag thinking at the very least I'd have a useable 18s case.

You get lucky once in a while!

IHC Member 1613
posted
I knew I had a couple of those C & O W.L. Fredeking Hinton W. Va. dials but I checked and both were for Illinois watches..Sorry about the bad pics but I just used my cell phone..Doug, I forgot to mention it is a very nice and collectable watch...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1650
posted
Thanks anyway Gary.

I'd really like to find one, but I don't know what the chances are.