Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B Dials? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
I have searched for a complete list of dials used on the 992B (excluding Gov't and Canadian) by part number and come up with the following:

080, 081, 082, 121, 151, 168, 379, 536, 537

If you have anything to add or subtract, it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
HA, BM NUM, HG, (and there are some variations on these)

this is the ID of some of these dials on the box labels..... which more people will relate with ... as they see this on a box...

what may be more important that a list of them is an ID of each dial... (and the description of these dials did change from info that was published...

posted
I think we saw an MHG at one point as well didn't we Terry?

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005
posted
Here is 3 different dials shown in the 1951 Hamilton Catalog.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Tref,
Would this be what you were referring to?

Robert

posted
Robert,
I think your label may be the second of the two I was recalling. The first led me to ask Terry if MHG might mean Melamine Heavy Gothic. The second dispelled that because the dial was clearly porcelain. Would anyone care to speculate on what the acronym MHG might actually mean, in its entirety?

I'd happily give three times what they were asking for all three of those 14K Gold cased watches I can tell you that! Smile

Thanks for the great material!

Best Regards,

Tref

posted
Tref,
Don really has provided us with an abundance of factual information from the Hamilton Archives.

If we determine with certainty that the dial doesn't match the label, I will edit the post, so there will not be any confusion. I believe that we should all strive for factual, accurate information.

It would really be nice if we could come up with a "master list", with descriptions, of all the size 16 dials that Hamilton made over the years.

Robert

posted
Robert,
Don is one of the people who has provided me with valuable information for the list I'm working on. If I lived closer I'd hop on over to the library and thank him personally.

I agree with you about the "master list" you mentioned, and in addition it would be nice to know which watches graced the face of which watches. But I have a feeling that learning that would leave some uncertainty or doubt because of Hamilton's willingness to do whatever it took to please their customers. My impression is that they were not nearly concered about posterity as we seem to get at times. And I can understand it, especially toward the end. They were a dying company desparate to make sales and keep the doors open, no matter whether the end product exactly matched that published in their sales literature or not. Just my $.02 on that.

Best Regards,

Tref

posted
Tref,
Thanks, the description of each style will be most helpful.

Robert

posted
Then you might like this too Robert. I apologize for the quality, but the pics came from many places and didn't copy over well.

posted
Tref,
Thanks for the images and dial research.

Robert

posted
one thing to add..

some of the 080 and 081 were not initially marked RWS....

the blueprint your image came from is a later revision... the earlier dated blueprints have not surfaced.......

I wish they had, because this WILL cause confusion...... and much discussion...

I also believe the 'export' dial is 16 size, and the 15 is a misprint on the document

also, the 1947 dial is the 537 dial, not the 081 dial... the difference is the double sunk reference.. 081 being single sunk, the 537 being DS porcelain...

posted
Terry I corrected the image above as per your observations. Thank you!

posted
only "trick" is..... the 080 dial in melamine is a 168 dial.....

these numbers are not interchangable.....

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

About red or black 13-24 on dials. Some say the 16-size red 13-24 were military issue dials and the black 13-24 were railroad, generally for use in Canada. Frankly, I don't know for sure.

The complete watch on the left in the image below came with the porcelain-enamel dial you see and in a Canadian Content Case. See this Chapter 185 Auction for additional details...

EARLY 992B, CANADIAN PACIFIC PORCELAIN DIAL, CANADIAN CASE!

On the right in the image, a new-old-stock melamine version. It went to Canada to help one of our members restore a Canadian 992B for a friend of his that originally came with an identical black 13-24 melamine dial.

Porcelain-enamel dial on the left, melamine on the right...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Changed the picture above again.

Lin, that sure was a beautiful watch!

About the red and black. I don't know if anyone will ever know for sure. I based the description on information from Don, but as we all come to learn, there are gaps and certainly few absolutes.

posted
sorry, the 537 WAS a porcelain dial....

this style dial changed to the 379 in melamine...

121 is a melamine dial also

it has not been determined the 519 dial was used from the factory on the 992B....

sorry it may seem like i am 'keeping after you', but this info needs to be as correct as possible if it is to be viewed...

you have to remember that the dial descriptions and numbers/names changed over the time span of the production.... not everything that 'looks' alike is alike...

posted
No need to feel bad Terry. I agree that is very important that we get things like this as accurate as possible. And I appreciate your willingness to stay with me until we get to that point.

Based on information found on sales records, Don posted that on June 5, 1945 the 519 dial was introduced for the 992B.

Thanks for the additional information, I have refreshed the image above to reflect all of it with the exception of the 519 question.

posted
then a better definition of the 519 dial is needed...

what i have seen is some material listings give a different number for the dials than the factory designation on the packaging for the complete watch....

will investigate further...

posted
I'm not sure why the 1953 Materials Catalogue I have does not have dials pictured, but I wish it did. It does not appear to be missing any pages.

The image of the 519 I posted is from the blueprint. Perhaps this dial was just pulled from stocks on hand, and used to keep production going due to a shortage of others at the time? And it was used for just a short time in its original "992" form? I can change the jpg at any time.

Do you know if there are more blueprints available, in addition to these that I already have?

024, 089, 081, 082, 168, 331, 379 and 519

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Terry is this the 537 dial it is procelian and double sunk..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
that be her samie...

blueprint dated 5-24-1940

posted
Below is the #522, non-RWS, predecessor to the #537, and I believe the #379, melamine replaced the #537.

Robert

posted
Back to the Canadian dial question.. I apprenticed with a Minneapolis jwewler who did watch inspection for the Soo Line RR Canadian Pacific subsidiary). Canadian type dials were required. I recall that all the dials I saw then and mostly since had black 24 hour numerals. (the only other requirement was white hairsprings on pocket watches. Period.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004