• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992-B vs. 992-E? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone advise how the 992B movement differs mechanically from the 992-E?

Posts: 26 | Location: Indiana in the USA | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Roger,

They are totally different. The 992E is based on the earlier 992 second model, but the 992B represents a revolutionary new pocket watch design, with completely interchangeable parts.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thanks Ed. If you were to compare the 992-E vs. 992-B is it possible to say which is mechanically the better made pocket watch?

I am just getting into this hobby and would like some representative examples of pocket watches that are first and foremost well built runners, secondly attractive.

Collectible value for it's own sake is not a factor for me at this point, though I realize both these models ARE collectable.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
The 992E is prettier to look at, but in my opinion as a mechanical engineer, the 992B is the superior timekeeping machine.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thank you Ed, while I like pretty and own a 992-E, I have a soft spot for mechanically superb things.

Just sorting out my future options!

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Roger,

The 992B had to compete with the Bunn Special 60 hour movements. The 992B mainspring is 29.5 inches versus 20.375 for the 992E. The 992B will run longer than a 992E. The 992B easily runs over 48 hours so it’s not an issue if you forget to wind it for a day. I think you’ll find this link interesting: Is there a best production year for 992/992B?

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
thank you Richard, I have some reading to do!