Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton script dial - black only? no red 5-min "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I'm looking at a Hamilton script dial very much like the one cited as pre-1920's in the "Hamilton 992, 992E, and 992B Case & Dial Identification, *(1924-1971)" thread - but without the red 5-min numbers. Black and white only, just hour numbers.
Looks pristine. Is this a known reproduction? If not, can anyone identify it? In the alternative, can anyone point me at a resource to check? The dial isn't in Shugart, and I can't find it here (probably my fault).

Kenneth Sloan

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 01, 2014
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
?

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
That's the one.

Kenneth Sloan

posted
Mr. Sloan,

The dial in question is a genuine Hamilton dial. Dials have variations which are often subtle and hard to describe. Hence it’s always a good idea to post a picture.

This particular dial is signed Hamilton in block letters and not script. It is a #530 DS Breguet Arabic according to page 11 in a 1920 Hamilton Watch Material catalog that I don't think can be found on this website.

Signatures are a good way to approximately date dials but details can more accurately determine dates.

In order to learn more refer to: Hamilton Railroad Porcelain Dials

Below is an illustration showing the differences between script ( green ) and block ( blue ) signatures.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Notice on #436 dials how the earlier dial has a different seconds bit and the five minute marker numbers go radially around the dial and the 30 is upside down. All three dials are #436 but they all belong on different time period movements.

posted
That #530 is a nice looking dial. The only noticeable flaw I see is a hairline by the number 10 which reduces it's value. If possible a photo of the back of the dial is always good especially if it's suspected of being a reproduction.

RR

IHC Life Member
posted
Sorry - my eyes played tricks on me - I could have sworn it was a script Hamilton - thanks for the info, and my apologies for the error.

Kenneth Sloan