Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need Info on Hamilton Mauve Watch box "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I have a Mauve Hamilton watch box that came with a 992b inside. It does not look like this watch was original to the box. I can only read 992 on the box. Would a 1941 watch be correct for this box. My guess is some one marriage the 2 at some time.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the side view.

IHC Life Member
posted
The case # is H 528581.

IHC Life Member
posted
Movement is # C27958

IHC Life Member
posted
Face

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Eugene,

I think I have some good news for you.

Despite some seemingly contradictory things, IMHO it looks highly likely you have an original combination here.

1. That's a 992B plastic box. The early ones were marked "Grade 992" and C27958 is from 1941-1942 production.

2. The early plastic boxes had labels on the bottom like this one does, and the label info matches your watch. It's in a Case Model 10 and is fronting a HG (Heavy Gothic) dial.

3. The variant colors in the plastic boxes (like this mauve example) are considered highly collectible. They were associated with wartime shortages of the normal ivory-colored plastic, which also fits with the production date.

4. The case s# H528581 comes back 1941-1942 from the Wadsworth case database, so that fits too.

Of course its impossible to be absolutely certain without the blue cardboard outer box and its label, but everything I see here is consistent with an original combination.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank You kindly for your info. This combo came from a gold buyer. I am more excited about this find now that it is mostly original. I've had it about 2 years. I seen this color case by itself sell on Ebay for about $800.