Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

First Hamilton 992B Outer Box Label? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Is this the first label used on the 992B outer box?

Robert

Hamilton 992B Label

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
yes,
that is the first style label....

note how they called it a 992 21 jewel Elinvar Railway Special...

posted
Thanks Terry,
Here is the first three styles in order (top to bottom). Do you have a image of the last style?

Robert

p.s. What is the lowest s/n 992B boxed set you have seen?

Hamilton 992B Labels

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Interesting study of label variations....

C 2610 is the 'current' lowest boxed example in database at this time... when I update the database it may change...

here is another 'variation'.. note the number in the lower right.....
will post some more as time permits and topic 'expands'..

posted
Robert,

the c84xxx example above is a little strange......
I think i have that image captured on my harddrive also....

it did not stand out until i started looking at others....

remember this thread?

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/6591067421/r/8151088421#8151088421

the "992B" is not 'supposed' to show up until later...
the other 'confusing' thing is the K prefix on the label.. usually a k prefix has only 6 digits following.....

those features make it stand out as an enignma...

note in the other thread where the higher number does not have 992B..........

posted
Terry,
Appreciate the additional info.

Robert

posted
Robert

Did you buy C2610. I believe it was on ebay recently.

posted
Hello Charlie,
I captured the image earlier, and was only using it to show the first 992B outer box label.

Do you have a variant to those shown that you would care to post?

Robert

posted
The only boxed 992b I have is a 4c # . It's the tail end of the production.

posted
Charlie,
Thanks for posting the excellent image.

Is 87126 the part number for the case?

Robert

posted
i believe the number is the part number for the entire watch...

the case itself has part number 87120..

will look in some reference material..
these numbers were in mid/late 50's cataloges

posted
Thanks,

Robert

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Nice example Charlie! Congratulations on finding that one. Earlier we got into the Hamilton style numbers here...

87126 "Hamilton 992B Projected Serial Numbers" on Page 2 of topic

87102 in "Hamilton 992B Projected Serial Numbers" on Page 3 of topic

Terry is of course correct in that 87120 is the Star part number for a model 17 case. It is stamped on the bottom of some case frames and you'll see it on the tag of the new-old-stock case in the image below.

Below, unused Case Model 17 with original Star hang-tag attached...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
On a recent visit to Casa Haney Wink... we had the opportunity to look thru a cache of empty boxes...

If you read above, you note the 'enigima' i mentioned above...

Well.......... apparently it is not so much of an enigima....

Apparently when Hamilton introduced the Model A case to the 992B movements they then changed the box labels from the previous 992 ELINVAR RAILWAY SPECIAL marking show on early labels above to the 992B Railway Special label....

here are a few examples.... thanks to Jim Haney

posted
2 more...

posted
Terry,
Looks like the 992B was offered in the "A" case as early as 1944-45, much earlier then once thought. Catalog don't list that combination until late 40's.

Robert

posted

posted
Robert,
I believe the Model A was drawn up as a "NEW" model case for the 992B and 950B in the fall of 1940 to show off their new models.

As was the model 11, however all of the Model 11 boxes show the old label "992" until C120,000.

It appears that the Model A case deserved the new labels.

Comments?

posted
Jim,

quote:
I believe the Model A was drawn up as a "NEW" model case for the 992B and 950B in the fall of 1940 to show off their new models.

Thanks, Have you seen Hamilton documents or other sources, with respect to your above statement that you would care to share?

Thanks,
Robert

posted
Robert,
I don't believe that Hamilton produced any sales catalogs during the war years. At least, I haven't seen any.

So we can look at it 2 ways. You could only get it in a model A case when they started producing sales catalogs after the war or you could order a model A case combo during the war.

Hamilton would sell you anything you wanted and bent over backwards to accommodate the customer.

If I saw the ad in the 1941 sales catalog introducing the "B" series watches and wanted a 992B in a Model A case, is it your position that Hamilton would refuse the order? That is providing that I had my war exception certificate filled out by my employer.

posted
The model A case itself we know "appears" in the 1940 catalog....

posted
Jim,
I totally agree with you with respect to Hamilton sales objectives.

Based on the several boxes you have, I would assume the Model "A" 992B, was a standard production item, but just didn't make the catalogs until after the war.

Thanks for the sharing the interesting boxes.

Robert

posted
quote:
Is this the first label used on the 992B outer box?

I think this would be the "first" label Robert Big Grin

Good ideas Jim and Terry. I think this version will prevent anyone from doing something they shouldn't with it.

Fake Label

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005
posted
Tref,
Is the research getting boring?

With you and Lindell's talent with labels, I'll have to be cafeful out there. Roll Eyes

How does it work on $100 dollar bills? Roll Eyes

I would have changed the case number! Big Grin

posted
Big Grin

I like fun...... but Please PLease Please imbed a watermark or something in that image....

we know here it is in fun.. but taken from this site out of context it is a dangerous image..... and there are many that will use it..... just make it more difficult... (yes i know that anyone with some imaging skill can do it... buy why make it easy for the lazy ones...)

posted
This was just an exercise in fun, much like the pictures of the C030 movement in another thread. I didn't change the case number because I wanted it to be even more obvious that it was a fake than my lack of skills already made it.

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005