WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  Hamilton and 992B Research Forum    question regarding Hamilton RR dials: converting 3 foot to 4 foot
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

question regarding Hamilton RR dials: converting 3 foot to 4 foot "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Is it possible to convert a 3 foot hamilton dial to a 4 foot hamilton dial? Thanks for your help.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Michael, as an experiment I tried exactly what you are asking about with a damaged 3 foot dial and some NOS dial feet. If you clip the feet off a 3 foot dial and carefully place the dial feet where they should be for a 4 footed dial it might work. However you may damage the dial rather easily and I used cement rather than solder as I was afraid of heat damaging the dial. I would say it can be done but is not generally worth it. I considered drilling new feet holes but that struck me as vandalism.One more point is that you really only need 2 feet to hold a dial if they are roughly equidistant. I feel that many members will have also tried some creative dial work much better than mine and frankly I would discourage you from trying my method. However I will send you some feet if you wish and I may have a 4 footed dial.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Richard, thank you for your advice and offer. I'm looking for a very particular Hamilton "old english" style double sunk 4 footed dial for a Hamilton 950P. There is one on ebay now but it is 3 footed unfortunately. If there was a good chance it would work I'd probably try to buy it but it doesn't sound like a winning solution.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005