WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  Hamilton and 992B Research Forum    Hamilton Movement Number Listings and Hamilton Horology Reference Materials

Closed Topic Closed
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Hamilton Movement Number Listings and Hamilton Horology Reference Materials "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hamilton Movement Number Listings Preserved by John F. Gelson

There was great interest in having the Hamilton Movement Number Listings Preserved by the late John F. Gelson, last President of Hamilton Watch Company made freely available to collectors. In one of our last conversations shortly before his November 2005 Passing John and I discussed that soon we would share his list on the internet.

Today we are well on the way. Recently Debbie and I scanned the entire Gelson Hamilton List™ into high resolution format so it can now be freely accessed without cost by anyone in the world with an internet connection.

Our good friend John Gelson did not live to see this, but we dedicate these efforts in his honor...

The Hamilton Movement Number Listings Preserved by John F. Gelson

Newly Expanded Hamilton Horology Reference Presented by IHC185

All Hamilton 992B Movement Numbers From 1940 Through 1970

Direct Link to our "1961 Hamilton Parts and Materials Catalog"

NOTE: When the Parts and Material Catalog opens, scroll down to see every page, print your own copy if you like!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Many thanks to Lindell, Debbie, and of course Mr. Gelson for this serial number list. For any of us who collect Hamilton watches we know how important this list is and now it is up on the IHC 185 site for everyone to use.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Weldon Hopkins
posted
Thank you Lindell, Debbie, and John Gelson for the serial number listings which I truly believe will help a lot of new collectors find the correct date of their movement. And the pictures of the time books and catalogs will also be a big tool for one to determine if his case or dial is correct and movement for a certain time period. I have found such a vast amount of information on Chapter 185, which is vital for a collector to have.
Best Regards
Weldon Hopkins

Posts: 79 | Location: Hallsville, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: November 12, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks,

This shows how we all work as a team to freely provide this important material for collectors and interested persons all over the world. It is so wonderful when we all work together. You will notice we also put in a link back to our "Projected 992B Movement Numbers" as well.

For the first time ever all these numbers and references are available free to everyone!

If I might share a story about these Hamilton numbers. One of my first really serious watch purchases back in the 1990s was a fully documented Hamilton 922 with both boxes and all the appropriate papers. It had been factory engraved and sold with 1932 shown as the date presented. However the watch guide listed it as being from 1938 in their number listings.

So one day I put in a call to ask the watch guide author about this and he said their list had been put together by simply dividing the approximate total production by the number of years in business with an artificial number assigned to each year. That essentially assumes the same number of movements every year, which can cause a great deal of confusion.

About that time John Gelson made his highly authoritative listing available to us and of course there was my watch shown correctly as 1932 production. Most other watch lists you will find were derived as described above. (Wayne Schlitt led the way with his interactive database for Elgin Watches and one day we may have reliable Hamilton listings in a similar format.)

In the meantime the 'Gelson List' is here for reference, print your own copy if you like.

(NOTE: If you quote from it please credit Internet Horology Club 185 at www.ihc185.com as your source.)

You will find any other list to be less reliable.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lin,

What an incrdedible resource. Kudos to all who participted in this project!

Pat

Posts: 4 | Location: Jackson, Mississippi USA | Registered: July 08, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Pat,

What you see are our first baby-steps toward one day having everyhing pertaining to the Hamilton Watch Company made freely available. That time will come because so many of our members continue to volunteer their expertise and knowledge. Everyone unselfishly contributes and the result is we provide all we can at no cost or obligation.

And like the saying goes... "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

Lin

Smile