Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My First Hamilton 992B "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 360
posted
I found my first Hamilton 992B in the house my Wife grew up in.She inheirited the house after her Mother pased away years ago.We were cleaning the house out and,to my amasement I found her grandfathers 992B in the original cigarette type case with the Hamilton logo on it.Near mint condition,movement#C448413.
Hamiltion Railway Special on the face.

Posts: 11 | Location: Redlands, California U.S.A. | Registered: April 29, 2004
posted
do you still have the watch?
if so, can you describe the case style?

thanks...

IHC Member 360
posted
TO Terry Hall,I still have the watch.It's in a size 16 screw back 10k G.F.open face case.the back of case says Hamilton watch company Lancaster Pa.Star watch case company 10K G.F.Serial #R688324.Stem wind and L.S.with gold bar over the crown.On top of the crown it says Hamilton Railroad.The Bezel has a rope chain like engraving around it.The screw back is the same,with a smooth finish in the middle.

posted
By your description, you have a model 17 case.

Does the dial have 60 minute markers around the perimeter.... and is signed Railway Special... or does it only have the hour markers with 'hash' marks?

Thanks for the additional info.....

IHC Member 360
posted
To Terry Hall,The Dial does have 60 minute markers around the perimeter,and is signed Halimton Railway Special...Thank you for Letting me know I have a model 17 case.Can you tell me more about the different model cases. Thank you,Garrison Moore

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

WELCOME TO CHAPTER 185 GARRISON...

Terry has been carefully charting the documented examples and has compiled a lot of information. If you find any documentation, such as receipt, guarantee papers or an outer box with the watch, anything tying it to a date of purchase or supplying additional information would be very helpful. Presently your number C448413 is pegged to 1958 production but if yours is documented that could also help narrow the focus.

Hamilton offered the Case 17 in both Gold-Filled and Solid-Gold versions. Other choices at the time yours was produced were the Rolled-Gold-Plate Case 16 and the Case 15 in Stainless Steel. There were two styles of dials, your "Full Numeral" and one known as "Heavy Gothic" which featured squared-off numerals.

The image below should be essentially similar to your watch...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell's image should be very similar to your watch....

this dial is known as a 379 dial...

or you can call it a montgomery railway special dial.

these dials are made from a 'plastic' material called melamine (the worst thing hamilton ever did to a watch)...... these dials are not too easy to find in 'perfect' condition.

The model 17 case took the place of the model 2 bar-over-crown case in the early fifties. they were first produced by Keystone and then by star until the end of production in the sixties.

As far as the other cases...... One could write a book on them... Big Grin Big Grin.. many are 'time specific' to hamilton's production over the years.

It may be easier if you asked a specific question... Wink... don't be afraid to ask!

A guide to the cases can be seen in the Shugart watch price guide...
Unless we can get permission to post scans of this info from them...... (hint hint)

IHC Member 360
posted
My 992B case is identical to the picture you sent.The dial is a little different though.It is full numeral with no red and black numbers on the out side of dial. Thanks again,- Garrison

posted
Ok, then that changes my dial statement above....

your dial is a "heavy gothic" (HG) railway special dial which would be listed on the box as a "121" dial. Same dreaded melamine material though.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

We never give up!

Case 16 "Full Numerical", and Case 17 "Heavy Gothic" dials...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002