• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

4C-prefix hamilton 992b "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Have just bought hamilton 992b on ebay the serial number on movement is 4c144962 and case number is
p561739 ( star case )I believe the two numbers are for year 1970 and are genuine. Would be obliged if
anyone could advise me on this.
PS just joined club and this is my first post.

Ron.

Posts: 112 | Location: Scotland in the United Kingdom | Registered: October 17, 2013
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to IHC185 Ronald!

Your movement and case numbers look they fit in our 4C Prefix Post Production 992B Database.

Read that topic over, I think you'll find it informative. Many more leftover "4C" plates were sold as parts than were ever made into post-production 992B's by Hamilton, so we've established this database to help collectors distinguish original 1970 Hamilton-made "4C" examples from something recently put together.

Your case number fits, but there are a few other details we like to see before we enter a watch in the "thought to be original" table.

Could you post some pictures?

I'm moving this topic to the Hamilton forum, which is where it belongs, and also made the title more descriptive of what is being discussed.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1613
posted
Ronald,
Welcome on board...Good group of knowledgeable folks here to get answers to your horological questions...

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
Thanks Ed,Will attach some pictures of watch to
you as soon as possible.

Ron.

Posts: 112 | Location: Scotland in the United Kingdom | Registered: October 17, 2013
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Ron,

Welcome to IHC185.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Pictures of my 992b

posted
992b photo

posted
photo

posted
photo: 4c144962

posted
movement

posted
body

posted
HOPE THE PICTURES ARE OK CAMERA IS NOT TO GOOD,I HOPE THIS IS ENOUGH FOR YOU;

posted
If you need better pictures of serial numbers I will try and get a hold of another camera.

Regards Ron

posted
more pictures of my 992b

serial number

posted
992b

posted
lever

posted
crown

posted
new pictures

face

posted
name

name

posted
movement

movement

posted
bow

bow

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Ron,

Your watch looks like a credible example, so I entered it into the database. This brings the number of thought-to-be-correct examples we have documented to 47, out of the "few hundred" examples we believe were originally assembled by Hamilton in 1970.

I noticed the sleeve that covers the bar over the crown is missing and the crown itself is rather worn on the upper corner. Both of these can be found without too much difficulty should you wish to restore your watch to its original appearance.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Hi ed .Thanks for that information on the watch,it
is good to know it is genuine.I will think about what you said about the bar and crown and be obliged
if you could send me some details of someone who does that type of work.

Regards Ron

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
You're welcome Ron, this is a watch whose importance and scarcity is currently under-appreciated by the average Hamilton collector IMHO, which is a good time to be adding one to your collection.

For watch work, I'd go with someone in our members business directory:

IHC185 Members Business Directory.

Best Regards,

Ed