Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

circular pattern in sunk regions of dial? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I have been instructed to post full photo documentation, so the next few posts will finish the job. My question has mainly to do with a circular pattern that can be seen only under certain lighting in the two "sinks" on this dial. My question are: is this normal? What causes it? Does it help identify the type of dial, the process used to produce it, or anything else? To my eye it's essentially invisible in normal use. I can only see it with magnification and the right lighting. My photo gear is still packed away, so this was taken with an iPhone through a folding magnifier that I inherited from my grandfather. So - first the close up, and then the rest of the photos.

movement SN - C349089
case SN - R225934, 10K rolled gold plate Hamilton Watch Co.

I think it's a #379 dial - am I wrong?

And finally, when we get to the bow - to my eye it's a bit "pointy" - is that just normal wear? It's also a bit loose.

And of course, all comments on the dial, hands, case, and movement are welcome.

[note: this photo is WHITE to make it easier to see the rings, which are in both "sinks" but primarily visible in the larger one. The other photos are more-or-less color corrected to match on my screen what I see in my hand] YMMV

Kenneth Sloan

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 01, 2014
IHC Life Member
posted
Front

Kenneth Sloan

IHC Life Member
posted
bezel off

Kenneth Sloan

IHC Life Member
posted
movement

Kenneth Sloan

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
quote:
My question are: is this normal? What causes it? Does it help identify the type of dial, the process used to produce it, or anything else?

Yes it is a normal characteristic of the 1970-1980 Reproduction dials marketed by the watch supply house "S. LaRose". It is caused by the cutter of the machinery that cut the "sunk" area of the seconds bit on a metal plate that was then enamel painted over.

quote:
I think it's a #379 dial - am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong.

quote:
And finally, when we get to the bow - to my eye it's a bit "pointy" - is that just normal wear? It's also a bit loose.

No, not normal wear. Bow has had a chain attached to it and over time pulled in/out of a pocket and has stretched the "D" shaped bow upward into a pointed bow and made the bow swing loose.

Hands are "charcoal" and correct, crown is about worn out and when it reaches that stage it becomes difficult to wind.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you!

Any other clues to the "reproduction" status of the dial? I thought I checked what I knew about - but there's always one more clue...

Kenneth Sloan

IHC Life Member
posted
Nevermind...

I just went over well trod ground and saw the points I mis-remembered. In particular, the downstroke of the 7 minute marker. But, I haven't seen the concentric rings mentioned before; now that it's been explained how they got there, this seems like the most direct way to spot this particular style of dupe - but it only works if you have the dial in your hand - it doesn't show up (as near as I can make out) in a generic photo.

Kenneth Sloan