Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Early Postwar 992Bs ... A ?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
I have a 1946 992B #C150190 correct 537 dial and black hands cased in a Model 10 Case from 1944-45?
H676771

Could it be possible this could have been an original case to this watch as Hamilton may have used what it had to keep postwar production moving?

I know the dial was available until 1947 or so and the Model 10 case was phased out in 1948. There is only one set of case screw marks for a 992B in it.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
Are you talking a #576 or a #537 Tom???? As the #576 would be incorrect for that manufacture in my opinion.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1338
posted
Typo, Bila. It is a 537 dial

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Tom,

Dial is beautiful and correct.*****

Case is in wonderful condition, appears to fit tightly, no apparent issues.*****

What you have is one of the very first post-war production 992B movements. *****

Your concern is with the case numbers... they began producing cases as soon as the government permitted.

The way Hamilton operated is important to understand. There are two ways to handle merchandise in business. One is called "FIFO" for First-In-First-Out which is how perishables are handled. Butter, eggs, bread, anything that is time-sensitive. The other is "LIFO" for Last-In-First-Out which is the way many parts and material are handled.

Research, including my interviews with former employees has proven that Hamilton used closed shelves some might call bins. As watch cases arrived, individually wrapped and in a box they were unloaded and put into the bins. The ones from a week or a month ago or even longer periods were in the back. As new cases arrived they would be placed in front of the older items. When an order came from the production line the ones in front were hurriedly pulled, that is "LIFO" or Last-In-First-Out, wherein the stock is not rotated but rather handled in the fastest, easiest way.

In the immediate post-war period they were gearing up for production as fast as they could, it was a hectic environment. As cases were pulled from the front they would eventually get into the earlier ones in the back, for that reason a movement just finished at a given time could end up in a case produced a little earlier. (We normally like everything to line-up but should expect as much as an eighteen month difference between our numbers to be acceptable.) As the war wound-down production of Gold-Filled Cases, made primarily of brass began a little earlier than movements which were primarily of nickel which was considered a strategic metal, it is used even in nickel-stainless steel.

Often I have quipped that all these things we so obsess about today as collectors meant nothing to the people that put them together, they were just building, selling and shipping out watches, with a big emphasis on that "shipping them out" part. Watches were not after all, butter, eggs, bread or even apples or tomatoes, they did not tend to get stale.

Your watch looks good, I am about the same age Roll Eyes and it has held up a lot better than I have!

Be well my friend,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1338
posted
Lin, that makes perfect sense, and was kind of what I thought took place. The post war 992Bs are not often seen cased in a model 10 case but as you said they were around until at least 1948.

This Model 10 is most associated with the 1937-38 992 Elinvars as you know, and many were sold in this Model 10 case. But, like this one, there were other watches over an 11 year period or so that got cased just like this one.

Thanks for "clearing the air" on this question. Appreciate it!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com