Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

beautiful rare verge fusee pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1954
posted
I just finished a watch I was working on and thought I would share with the members.it is a verge fusee made in 1789 by Wilders of London.it has a beautiful repousse silver outer pair case.also has a beautiful champlevé solid silver dial.the inner case is silver and is fully hallmarked for silver and year of 1789 and has George looking to the right,very rare to find.the watch movement is in very good shape and runs excellent for this year.better than most because it runs within a few minutes per day.to find a watch that has a repousse case,a champlevé dial and the rare inner case with George looking to the right is almost impossible to find.i think it was a super good find for me and an important project to do.what do you think?

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
IHC Member 1954
posted

IHC Member 1954
posted

IHC Member 1954
posted

IHC Member 1954
posted

IHC Member 1691
posted
Beautiful.

Posts: 259 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Member 1892
posted
Congratulations Victor on this fine looking watch. I have a few verg escapements but nothing coming close to this one.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
posted
Magnificent. And 226 years old!

Eric Wells

Posts: 137 | Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: December 18, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Wow! That case! What is meant by "George looking to the right"? Fantastic watch!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1954
posted
if you look in the book-complete price guide to watches- under british hallmarks,you will see a hallmark picture of a face looking to the right side.i believe it is King George.these hallmarks are very uncommon.most are facing the left..

IHC Member 1736
posted
Very nice... I'm really enjoying your posts.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1954
posted
thank you very much.i really like these old verge fusee watches.they are all hand made and no 2 are the same.it makes it hard to repair them because a part from another one isn't quite the same.there is a lot of adapting and fitting involved.they had some real craftsmen back there.unbeleivable stuff for what they had to work with..love those old watches..

posted
Beautiful watch and with the King George III Duty mark which is very scarce . The mark indicated that the duty had been paid .The duty was imposed on watch case makers in 1784 and cancelled in 1798. As a matter of interest the penalty for counterfeiting Hallmarks ( c.1757 ) was changed from 100 Pounds to the death penalty. This information from the bulletin "Watch case makers of England" by Phillip T. Priestley . Louis

josbern

Posts: 19 | Location: Johannesburg in South Africa | Registered: August 08, 2014
posted
Very nice watch overall and a fantastic case. I believe 'Wilders' was a 'brand' name used in England for a Dutch maker. Is there a casemaker's mark anywhere on the case?

Posts: 27 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 15, 2015
posted
It's a beauty!

Posts: 16 | Location: Oregon in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2015