Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unitas? "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
Ok - out of my swim lane...

Is this a UNITAS ETA 6498 or 6497 or something completely different? And what is the easiest way to decipher?

TYIA

Smile

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi.
That distinctive plate design sure looks like Unitas. Under the balance there is a mark that looks like a shield. In that shield is a U with a T in it and below that mark is a number. On page 86 in the 2012 edition of the price guide, you can see the mark I'm refering to.

Regards, Krister.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009

posted
Thanks - Krister!

Will look today Smile

posted
You were right - once the eye gets trained a little better a fella can spot the markings. They seem to sell for pretty good money on ebay as conversion wrist watches.

Thanks again for your help Smile

IHC Life Member
Picture of Bruce Bonbright
posted
Jon, I believe the 6497 has the second hand at the 9:00 position and the 6498 has them located at the 6:00 position. It definitely looks like a ETA/Unitas movement to me. -Bruce

Posts: 71 | Location: Hawaii in the USA | Registered: November 13, 2014

posted
Yes - Bruce! It is just funny how I completely did not even notice the markings under the balance wheel, but now they just jump right out at a fella.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I believe that's what Peter uses in the boiler room of some of his custom wristies.

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
got few of those in my boiler room Big Grin

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Wink

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002