• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee success "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Success! I finally got my third fusee running. I managed to install the replacement chain by hooking it to the fusee first and seating it in the lowest groove and then hooking the other end to the spring barrel and winding it around it. I then tensioned the mainspring 3 notches of the pawl wheel and locked it down. I then wound it a full turn, gave it a little shake and it started to run. Then I put the dial on using some thin pieces of wire through the post holes and bending them so they can't fall out. Then I put the movement in the case and put in the pivot pin. Then I put the hands on and wound and set it. It ran for a full 18 hours without issue. After a slight adjustment of the regulator towards fast, it keeps very good time.

The watch is somewhat different than a usual fusee. It's a later model showing as Sterling from Chester and the year 1886. What is different is that there are no markings on the movement or dial, the regulator is on top of the balance cock and accessible with the dust cover in place, and the balance wheel has timing screws in it. The balance is jeweled and there is one more jeweled pivot but the rest are bare. The watch was probably well used since the catch holding the movement down in the case is worn out and has no spring tension at all. When I open the bezel, I can then swing the movement up without having to release the catch. There also is some dial damage under the seconds chapter that I have patched up as good as I can. There also is an issue with winding. It sometimes does not catch and wants to slip backwards so I have to make sure it is locked before releasing the key.

Has anyone seen this kind of fusee before? I'm sure it was a lower cost watch when new.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
IHC Member 1954
posted
I have done dozens of the verge fusee's and the lever fusee's.i usually put them all together and then put the chain on last.i start it on the mainspring barrel and wrap it all up by turning the shaft on the spring.when it is fully wound,i then pull enough out to hook it on to the fusee.i then give it a few clicks to tighten it up and then set the ratchet on the click.as for the wire holding the dial on,you can get the brass taper pins for them to do them right.they push in until snug.as far as the issue with winding it and it slipping,that would be internal problems with the fusee.they have a set of teeth in side and a small click that locks on every tooth that passes it.a lot of times the teeth get worn of or broken,so it doesn't catch.some times you can take them apart and clean them good and lubricate them so they will work better..lots of the fusee watches never had jewels until the late 1800's.some had on the balances,but no where else.it is amazing how good of time some of them actually keep.i have one from 1789 that keeps time to within a couple minutes per day.they are very interesting and the early ones were all one of a kind because they were all hand made..Vic

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
posted
Sadly, the chain broke again and that, coupled with the other issues made me sell the watch.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012