Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A New Crystal For A Very Old Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I just fabricated a new glass crystal for this beautiful French verge fusee onion watch made in Paris by Gilles Martinot in the late 17th century, about 1685. To me this timepiece is special because watches made during this period were the first to use the balance spring; this new development ushered in an era of much better accuracy for portable pocket timepieces. The watch is surprisingly heavy. The diameter of the gilt brass case is about 56mm and it's just about as tall as it is wide! The dial is gilt copper with fired enamel. The single hand is heat blued steel. It's a beautiful survivor in great condition so I thought I would share some photographs.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Life Member
posted

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Don't have a clue at what I'm looking at, but enough to know it was a top of the line in it's day.
Fine restoration! You're probably one of a rare few who could put a proper crystal on it.
Good job!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Great looking watch.Good job.
Did you put a bullseye crystal on it?

Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 2030
posted
Quite a clean example of beginnings of pocket watch horology.
That was maybe like the newest technology in its day.
Like a new iPhone ?
Nice work, the crystal is appropriate and better than 1600’s quality. Smile
Thanks William

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1725
posted
What a beautiful timepiece William.

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Roger,

No bullseye. Simple convex 50.85mm diameter and over 10mm inside center clearance! It definitely qualifies as a high dome crystal!

William