Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pocket watch T P H on case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Pocket watch T P H on case

I dont know if this is right or not, but I have a pocket watch hallmark chester P 1898 silver T.P.H, Will put photo up later

Posts: 107 | Location: Liverpool, England | Registered: November 27, 2009
posted
Les, If the casemaker's mark is TPH (incursive) - that is, the letters engraved in some form, but Not in a shield, then Yes, it probably is the same chap.

He registered the mark on 27th April 1904, Thomas Peter Hewitt, (Director, Lancashire Watch Case Co Ltd), The watch Factory, Warrington Rd, Precot, Lanc's.

Another entry for TPH!
He used a rectangular shield with clipped corners, registered on 17th May 1899, Thomas Peter Hewitt (CM & WM), Lancashire Watch Co, Prescot, Lanc's.

I'm guessing that the initials CM & WM are abreviations for clock and watch maker?

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John, it,s not working at present, but i dont think theres to much wrong with it, I wont touch it beyond my abilites, do you think it,s him, watch in lovely condition realy
Cheers Les

posted
Les, they're Chester hallmarks for 1898, and the 1899 casemaker's mark for Hewitt, so I'd say it was he!
Any chance of some photo's of the movement and dial?

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Found these two images on line that are attributed to Thomas Peter Hewitt.

marks

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Will get them for you tomorrow, a bit weary now going to have a rest, Night all

posted
Many thanks for moving and posting the images Tom, much appreciated.

Thanks too Les, turning in myself now!
Sleep tight. Smile

John

posted
Good Morning John & Tom, this below took my interest, Roll Eyes
T.P. Hewitt invented the Keyless winding mechanism, and was one of the founding members of the Lancashire Watch Company, an attempt to rejuvenate the industry by using proven manufacturing methods developed in America. The Lancashire Watch Company enjoyed some success, but was forced to close in 1910, as it was unable to compete with the watchmaking industries of America and Switzerland. photos below

posted

posted

posted

posted

posted

posted
Nice clean looking watch Les.

Once you get to grips with the other wreckage you're working on, we'll have you getting this one up and running in no time! Wink

John