WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A pleasant surprise "Gamble" from eBay is Nice 1880's Brit Fusee "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This came out ion eBay with very little description. I saw the extra spade hand and noted the silver case and became the sole bidder for fifty bucks and change.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I examined the case with covers than "schnick" open and closed like a well tuned Bentley, with a perfect dial, perfect hands, solid silver, late 19th century(?) nice! So I opened it up . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
All I can say it WOWZA!!!! Eek . . . Diamond Endstones, capped escape train, (19 Jewel movment?), solid gold balance weights and platinum Mean time screws!( Cool), all powered by a totally intact and pristine fusee drive with the famous laminated jeweled pallet lever escapement!

Mr John Cashmore did a fine job. To bring this back to running order, I am sure it only needs cleaning and TLC. BUT . . . I never did a fusee, and this is too nice for a "first try" so should I do it, or should this go to Chris???

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice buy David, you sure stole that one.

In Loomes it has;
Cashmore, John London (North Buildings), South Place, Finsbuer) 1857-86, then Eldon Street, South Place, Finsbury, London 1890's

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
David that,s nice and for 50.00 bucks wow what a deal. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David

I found him in the London Census too;
John Cashmore born about 1821 listed as a watch manufacturer, living at 1 Warwick Crest
living with his wife Hannah, daughter Rachel (22), son Edd (20), daughter Edith (18), daughter Estelle (16),Annie (14), Florence (13), son Herbert (6), Mary Ann Parker (27) servant, Jane Howard (25) servant. The wife & the 3 oldest kids are listed as working as watch manufacturer. The younger children are in school.

1901 census
Shows him as a retired watch manufactuer, Hannah, Rachel, Estelle, Edith also live at home, along with Alice Sims a nurse hospital, Agnes Alie servant. No employment is listed for the wife of girls. They were living at 1 Warwick Crest.

Sounds like he earned a nice living.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
David

Buy? Theft for sure ! (or sold by a 'colonist' who doesn't know how to work a fusee !)

Fact:

hallmarks Sterling -- London assey -- 1875

Case maker: George James Thickbroom - London - registered Dec 1874 (picture identification)

What to do:

There is always a first time. If you feel uncertain better take a fusee movement with a broken dial for training.

Have fun
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Send it to Chris, Dave. He LOVES these things!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Beautiful Steal David!

A man of your capabilites should be able to eat a clean and service on a fusee!
No different to any other watch, just another pile of bits and screws assembled to make a watch!

It's the chain that can be a fiddle to clean, refit and pre-load, and is what causes many to balk at doing them.
Once you get the knack they're not so bad.

Beware though, these can suffer bad wear on 'non jewelled' pivot holes and pivots, and may need re-bushing.
You may also find in these cases, someone's beaten you to it and 'punched up' the hole with a 'centre pop' to close them up!
Even London made watches don't escape this brutality - hopefully you'll be lucky!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Dear David,

Sorry this is so long after your original message, but I have recently been researching the life/watch production of John Cashmore and came across your post - I too would congratulate you on acquiring a good watch by a superior maker.

Do you have any further/higher resolution photographs of the watch please? And, would you be happy please for me to use them - or the versions already posted - in the published article?

Regards.

David

Posts: 27 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 15, 2015
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
David, you have my permission to copy and use all the pictures I published on this beautiful watch.
David C. Abbe, December 25, 2017

IHC Member 1902
posted
Hello David, good to see you post again.
Wishing you good health and happiness in the coming year.

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013