• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Chronometers - best book "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm wanting to learn in depth about English marine (and pocket)chronometers - especially late 18th/early 19th century. Anyone here have a view please on which is the best book to gain a good grounding?

This has been prompted by writing a piece involving Thomas Earnshaw on my blog, http://theoldwatchword.blogspot.co.uk/

I'd like to know about the character/personality of the 'big names' like Earnshaw, Arnold, Frodsham etc. I imagine that they were pretty pedantic by nature, but must also have been commercially astute and prepared to take risks in the cause of innovation (and profit).

It's a shame their products have become so expensive - I can't see how I'm ever going to be content with a Russian one!

Posts: 27 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 15, 2015
posted
David, I recommend "The Marine Chronometer Is History and Development" by Rupert Gould in the 2013 edition published by the Antique Collectors Club. This edition includes the text and illustrations of the original 1923 edition (plus additional illustrations) and with the inclusion of marginal corrections and comments by Gould taken from his copy of the original. New copies are listed on Amazon (US) for $115. They also let you preview many pages of the book so you can get an idea if this is what you are looking for.

Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
Thank you Robert - much appreciated. I will follow your recommendation. Regards. David

Posts: 27 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 15, 2015