Tools
Reply to Post

Nazi SS Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Nazi SS Watch?

A friend of mine bought this watch in Poland and wanted to know more about it: type of watch, age, who made it, but mostly is the engraving on the back authentic.

My guess is this is a generic cylindrical escapement from the 1880s that someone engraved with nazi info to make it more interesting to souvenier buyers.

The back says: "Unsere-Waffen SS (lightning bolt), 15.9, eagle, 1939, 1 Btl LSSAH (lightning bolts).

Please comment.

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Front - needs a crystal

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement just says Extra

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Cuvette engraving says: Chavanne, 99 de Ligne

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
You are right on John the engraving looks to new/crisp to be from 1938
mine $.02

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1338
posted
I bought a Hitler Youth Knife once at a gun show for $60 just to be buying something. Looked real to me.

The Nazi expert in Greenville, SC said it was a cheap fake worth maybe 15 bucks. Live and learn.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Are there watches issued for nazi troops ? I have traded in knives ,rings etc and have never seen a watch that could be verified , Tom the last real knife/dagger i sold was for 450 about 10 yrs ago

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks. You guys are verifying my original assessment. My friend paid $250, which I think was about $200 too much.

John

posted
I remember that Chavanne Freres was an importer and retailer of clockmaking in Tunis Tunisia.
perhaps plunders of war!
regards enrico

Posts: 25 | Location: Torino in Italy | Registered: January 28, 2014
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That looks like an unadjusted solid wheel movement c.a. 1880-1890. At some time later, the engraving was added for "effect", possibly post WWII when our European occupying forces were buying "war stuff" to bring home and make up stories about.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1902
posted
Help David, good to see you're still watching and posting.
I hope you are keeping well.
All the best, Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Tom, I remember standing in line at an Ohio Gun Collector's show in Columbus, Ohio back in the 80's waiting for a sale to finish.

A man in front of me was trying his best to sell a Nazi SS knife to a dealer, INSISTING it was real, and even had a receipt and COA to prove it. As I recall, he had paid over $600 for it, and that was HUGE back then! Eek

The dealer calmly turned the knife over and showed the man (under magnification) the words 'West Germany' on the hilt and upper portion of the blade.

Needless to say, the knife owner wasn't very happy when he saw that. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002