Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My First Ball Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I took a flyer on this one, I Took a Flyer, bidding only on a picture with no other information. Probably not the best way to buy a watch but it worked out well enough that I would do it again, I like the buzz.

I assumed Waltham and bid to cover 17 & 19 jewels but high enough to perhaps score a 23.

Well it turns out to be a:

Ball Waltham ORRS
#224706 ~ 1907
17j ~ 16s ~ OF ~ LS
Model 1899

Case Keystone J. Boss
20 Year
Ball Model (Below Serial #)

I see no reason at this point to think it is anything but all original. It runs smooth and sweet and during the two full winds that I ran it, maintained perfect time.

Weighs in at 104.7g. I assume the pattern back cases were more expensive as there would be more gold on them to accommodate the engraving.

There may be a small hairline between the centre post and the seconds bit. There is a pinhead of brass on either side of the pendant. The only other negative is that the watch chain that was on it appears to have caused some wear to the bow and shoulders. I will not polish this case as I am sure some of the gold is gone in these areas.

If there has to be an engraved initial on the back of a watch case this example is discreet enough that I like it.

This was not an on-line auction, just advertised on the internet. I sent in an email bid and interestingly paid exactly what I bid. Initially this rankled me and I was about to ask a lot of questions but decided it is just a hazard of bidding this way and let it go, well almost.

All in all I am very happy with this watch and will bid this way again.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
Mvt.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Dial

IHC Member 1541
posted
Case Back

IHC Member 1541
posted
Inside Case

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Congrats Lorne, nice score. A pattern-back Ball Model case is something to be prized. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Ed, it makes me happy to look at it, but then almost every watch does that for me.