Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Watch B614887 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
I have had this watch for over 30 years and had always assumed that it was a Ham. 999 movement. I am now wondering if I am right after reading different things here about Ball watches. Why does it have a long crown or stem? Is there a reason for that? Is that a gold center gear? Why do some movements have the gold round logo thing and this doesn't. What else can you tell me about this watch.
It seems like you guys have most of the answers and I'm curious as a novice wrist and pocket watch hoarder.
Thanks Bill

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Another photo and the serial number is B614887

Bill Carlson

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
This is the face of the watch.

Bill Carlson

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Bill,

Your Ball-Hamilton number B614887 is from 1925 production according to information on Page 9 of the Gelson Listings and your case as well as dial and hands are correct for that time-frame as well. Looks like an original example.

Glad to have you with us!

Lindell

Your dial was introduced in 1925 according to this ad...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Your case is not a common design, the bow is unusual but it is both correct and original. Here is my number B607329 which is a 23-Jewel from 1923 production. You will see it has an earlier style dial.

Here you see the same style case on one of mine...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi, Thanks for the information and help. I'm glad to hear the watch is an original 1925 model. I always have wondered since I didn't know that much about watches.
This a great site.
THANKS AGAIN.
Bill Smile

Bill Carlson

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Bill,
A couple of comments about the "gold seal" on 16 size Ball movements.

I believe that all the Waltham ORRS movements had the gold seal.

The early 23 jewel Hamilton movements had the gold seal, But after S/N B 617,XXX the seal was omitted. All were fitted with a motor barrel. Thanks to Terry Hall for pointing out the initial error in my post and the correct changeover point. Smile

The first runs of the Hamilton 21 jewel movements also had the gold seal. These movements had and were signed "motor barrel" on the barrel bridge. Highest serial number we have seen is B 603,999. Higher numbered movements omitted the gold seal and had going barrels.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Ed,

I often refer to a copy of the chart from Page 484 of the August 2002 "NAWCC Bulletin" where you and Kent Singer got into Twentieth Century production Ball watches. That chart detailed the various 16-size Ball-Hamilton ORRS Watches and the approximations in the tallies at the bottom of the chart are most interesting...

23-Jewel Grade 999 Gold Seal, Motor Barrel...............6,700

23-Jewel Grade 999 No-Seal, Motor Barrel..................2,000

23-Jewel Grade 998-Elinvar No Seal, Motor Barrel.......2,700

21-Jewel Grade 999 Gold Seal, Motor Barrel................2,300

21-Jewel Grade 999 No Seal, Going Barrel.................40,200

21-Jewel Grade 999B No Seal, Going Barrel...............28,200

A few years ago I set out to obtain at least one of each of them. The most difficult to find is as you might suppose the "23-Jewel Grade 999 No-Seal, Motor Barrel" and it takes a sharp eye to find one of those! I have found that many collectors tend to overlook the lesser known examples.

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Thanks for the information on the watch. I really appreciate it.

Bill Carlson