Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

When did the Webb Ball Business close? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I have read numerous articles about when Webb C. Ball started but I don't recall reading when the stores closed. I recall his son took them over but I don't recall reading anything about the business after that.

Thanks
Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
tom,

The name changes are very confusing.

that ohio database has some of them, but not the earliest ones. Either they weren't inc or as the website says, not all data has been digitized.

Webb C Ball, Ball and Co,railroad watch co, Ball watch co, Norrister Ball, then Ball watch co again. You can find different variations on the ohio database. as a jewelry business they were still active until 1962 in Cleveland. George Ball maintanied a business in Chicago at least until 1992 according to a Bulletin article by Winslow, .

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Bill

I guess their last American made pocket watch would have been the Hamilton's made in 1942?

Tom

posted
Tom,

not my field, but I am pretty sure that Hamilton lasted until 1969. Elgin and Waltham made it into the late 50's at least.

Eisenhower removed the tariff protections and they couldn't compete. Some of the companies tried moving south for cheaper labor but it is kinda like today's auto industry!

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Bill

I was just going by the Ball section of the price guide, the last Ball it showed under the serial numbers were ones made in 1942.

Tom