Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Stirrup Bow Tightening Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
I have a Waltham 19 jewel Ball watch, 16 size, ORRS, in a Ball Marked Fahys Case. The bow is loose and sort of sloppy. What is the proper procedure to tighten this bow? This is a solid gold stirrup bow which I am concerned might just break instead of bend like can be done with others. Anyone with experience doing this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions, solutions!

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
Hi Paul, There is a pair of bow pliers that you will need to tighten the bow. If these are used I have never had one to break on me, or have ever heard of one breaking. I dont think I would try this with a regular pair of pliers. As those sturrip bows are not easily found.

Posts: 296 | Location: Livingston, Tennessee USA | Registered: May 20, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Paul,

Leon is a recognized expert in this area and I agree with his comments completely.

Just a word of caution, having a pair of bow pliers is one thing and knowing how to use them is quite another. I have seen far too many bows bent out of shape or distorted in tightening attempts. Many will stretch the bow upward to make it tighter which in my opinion causes it to be misshapen and at times ruined forever. This adjustment takes patience and practice, it is usually best to remove and reshape the bow to be a bit narrower and then very carefully reinstall it. If done correctly it will then be firmer and retain the original design shape.

If you could post a picture of your bow or perhaps let us know if any of those on pages 158 or 169 in the "Complete Guide to Watches" are the same style as yours that might help.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Lindell, My Case is a Fahy's Warranted Permanently Gold case with a Patent Safety Bow on a 20th Century Case as shown on Page 158 of the 2007 Price Guide. With a Loupe, I can see what appears to be a rather small pin protruding from the ends of the bow into the Pendant holes which seem to be a great deal larger than the pins. The protruding pins are into the "dishes" on both sides deep enough, but they seem to be much too small and so it lets the bow be "sloppy" in its mounted position. It almost appears as if there should be a much larger diameter pin protruding from the bow itself where it mates with the hole in the pendant......What am I seeing here?

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Hello Paul,

Those Fahys cases such as yours are among the best and those marked "Permanent" are the best of the best. Wink That being said the amount of wear you describe sounds considerable, so perhaps a good beginning would be to carefully compare yours to the image below this message. Look very closely at how the bow should fit into the pendant very tightly. You probably figured out those "pins" you described are designed to guard against the bow being pulled off the pendant in hard use.

Our friend Leon Harris could possibly restore your pendant with gold solder, perhaps an image of your pendant and bow area would help to determine what would be involved.

Lindell

Close-up details of a Ball 20th Century bow and pendant...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
My bow looks the same as the one above, but it will not stay in position it is placed in. My bow looks exactly like the one you posted. I'm trying to figure out how to take a picture that will show something.....See the next reply and see if you can tell anything from what I have there.... Thanks and thanks to Leon also.

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Here's my attempt at photos. The bottom of the picture shows the side which is the most loose of the two sides. Not sure that I can see anything but am hoping one of you two folks can.......

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Paul,

I'll be posting some images and we may be able to help you.

Stay tuned! Cool

Lindell

Wink

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Paul,

Please accept my apology for taking so long on this response.

I am hoping the extra time it took shows in what you see below, hopefully this will explain these bows and how the repairs are done. Let us begin with a later case. The bow on these is "pinned" and is one of the most reliable designs. It was used on the "J. Boss Railroader" and the later style of Howard Series 11 Chronometer cases. We find it on the Hamilton Railroaders and on the last Ball Stirrup-Bow cases.

Looking at the first merged images, a very dirty case with a "floppy" bow is disassembled. I carefully spread the bow slightly to remove it. You see the retaining pins in the upper image. Then in the lower merged image the pins are removed. After cleaning the pins are inserted from the outside and then the re-formed, tightened bow is slid over the pins. Then the pins are pushed, forcing them outward for a firm fit.

First steps in straightening, tightening and realigning the bow...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

This image shows the finished result of cleaning and re-fitting...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Now, we move to the 20th Century bow style as found on Paul's watch. This is an earlier, simpler style that must fit very tightly in order to work properly. In the image immediately below, the bow is spread slightly to remove it. After cleaning, re-forming and proper tightening it will be very carefully reinstalled.

Here are the details of how Ball's 20th Century style bow works...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

This bow showed somewhat more wear than Paul's and in the end the job turned out fitting well.

Finally, here is the bow reinstalled, so tightly it actually squeaks...