WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What Should I Pay for an Excellent Ball 998? (Pictures) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
I know what the Clock and Watch Guide says these are worth, but, I also know a "Book Price" is different from a "Real World" price. My dilemma is this. I know of a literally "MINT" example which is for sale. Even the sanding marks are on the back of the case. Everything proper and said to be entirely original. What would you offer for this Watch? I'm trying to figure out a price. Help me out with suggestions, Please!

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
Paul;

You can look in the 185 auctions and see what mine sold for recently. If yours is truly mint probably worth a little more...Good Luck! Let us know what happens...

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Thanks, Tom. I see and this seems like what I was thinking myself. That was a real nice watch! Will see what Monday brings.

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
What did Monday bring, Paul?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Well Tom, after figuring everything out, (including a little kick in the tail from the "mean old Redhead" that's put up with me for over 25 years, I am going to go get the 998 in about an hour. Price is not settled at this moment but I have a good starting point given to me. Either way, It WILL be mine by this evening! Will Post some pictures when I get it home. Thanks again for your help.

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Got it HOME! Too Late for pictures, but will do that in the morning! Looks like it is definitely a 1940 mfg. date. Coincidentally, I was born in February of 1940 myself. Here's the S/N B-649327. If I could connect it to February I would think it was made to happen! I'm afraid to put it into my storage case, (it would go next to my 950-B), cause that has been my "Best Watch" until now. Don't want them "fighting in the night!"

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Here's a few pictures of my "New Baby!

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Here's the Movement

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
You can see the "Elinvar" in this one. S/N is B-649327.

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
This is the Inside of the back. It's a Keystone case.

Picture of Paul Adams
posted
And Finally, the Back of the case. I am real pleased with the watch. Gained 2 seconds in the last 24 hours. Don't think I will mess with it, though. At both of our ages, I wish I could gain a couple seconds myself. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is "Born In 1940."

IHC Life Member
posted
Wow! Nice find.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1357
posted
Really nice!!
Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
quote:
Gained 2 seconds in the last 24 hours. Don't think I will mess with it, though.

Give it a few days run-in time. It may self correct after it's had time to aclimate itself.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Your movement is from around 1940 Paul.

I wish I had seen this back when it started....

The case is a <RESTRIKE/REPRODUCTION> case from the 1970-80's.

The dial is not correct either as it is from a later 999B watch.

But if you got it at a fair price OR you are happy with it, then I am also.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Thanks for the info Buster. Do you happen to have a picture of the Dial that is supposed to be on this watch? I solved the Case Issue. The previous owner had put it into this one and cased a 999-B with the Original. He called me and I was able to get the case. It is a nearly mint WGF Shouldered Case. If I knew what to look for in a dial, I would change that also. Any Suggestions?

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Paul here is a correct dial in the thread;

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/3751070791

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Thanks for the link. That will be my next project. I will have to look, but I just might have that dial somewhere in my spare dials.