Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Elinvar Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1739
posted
I was told that some 999B watches were Elinvars and were not marked, but the way you could tell was if it had a silver balance wheel and weights.Is there any truth to this. Thanks Nick

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2012
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Nick,

It would be easier to respond had you included your movement number for clarification.

All the Ball 999B movements are clearly marked as such, but will not have specific "Elinvar" markings. However, they do have an "Elinvar-Extra" hairspring and solid balance wheel as shown in the image below. On both these features they are identical to the contemporary Hamilton 992B movements. Production numbers on the Ball-Hamilton 999B are detailed along with all 16-size Ball-Hamilton movements here...

16-size Ball-Hamilton 999 and 999B Movement Numbers and Years Listing

Hope this is of help to you and others.

Lindell

Wink

Typical Ball-Hamilton 999B from my collection...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1739
posted
Lynn, thanks for your call and response to my question. I have been collecting Pocket watches since 1970 and have settled on Ball watches,I see I have a lot to learn. I recently acquired an 18 size single roller that needed work, I will send photos etc when it returns so that it can be added to your data base. Thanks again and I'm sure I will be needing more education. Nick

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2012