Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting Webb C Ball advertisement from 1900! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 665
posted
This was the interior of the Ball store on Euclid Avenue from 1911. Just look at all those Ball watches!

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Great postcard views especially the interior of the Webb C. Ball Co. On Euclid Avenue, the showcases make your mouth water. I found another Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen delegates badge from 1925 and will post some of my Euclid Avenue pictures later.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Lodge 258 "W.G. Edens" East Brady, Pennsylvania Chartered May 20, 1884 Pennsylvania Co. (East)
located Northeast of Pittsburgh and West of Johnstown. I have some interesting biographical information on W.G. Edens.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Front of badge close-up

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Back of badge close-up

IHC Member 665
posted
Here is a view (looking west and down onto the roof of the Ball Building on Euclid Avenue) which shows that just a few yards west there was a competing jeweler, C C Sigler (located opposite the New England building). If we look closely, we can see the street clock that once stood on the sidewalk outside the Sigler premises.

In my collection is Hamilton 18s 204082 Grade 934 which was sold by Hamilton to Sigler in 1902, according to Hamilton factory records.

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC Member 665
posted
Here is another view of Euclid Avenue showing both the Ball street clock and the Sigler street clock, not far apart. They can be seen on the left hand sidewalk.

The Ball Building is the low building, on the left, in the middle distance.

posted
Well, to maybe add something of interest to all the Webb C. Ball advertisements posted here, I thought I would share two that I have had for some time. The reverse painted Ball sign I think is a bit scarce as I mentioned it to Bernard Edwards who had not heard of one. The other is a small tin that looks like it might have been displayed in a store. I love horological advertisements.
RC

Posts: 22 | Location: Santa Cruz, California USA | Registered: March 23, 2005
posted
Here is the tin sign, didn't see how to put it up with the glass sign.
enjoy,
rc

Posts: 22 | Location: Santa Cruz, California USA | Registered: March 23, 2005
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
two wonderful pieces Randy,wish they were mine Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

I can say the same Tom, I know Lin would like to have them as well! Smile

Posts: 5207 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Randy:

Nice Ball advertising items, the reverse glass painting is really special. The smaller metal sign must've been used as a Memorial to the founder Webb C. Ball.

Larry

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Great slide show guys. I love these kinds of visual aids!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is an interesting Webb C. Ball Watch Co. pocket watch advertising from the February, 1910 issue of the Locomotive Engineers Building.it is headed by "Roosevelt's progressiveness is rooted in strength and sturdy character" Webb Ball then goes on to say "The progressive Ball watches are built strong, simple and with the sturdy which ensures a long life of reliable timekeeping." Of course Theodore Roosevelt was a Republican, and so was Webb C. Ball.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Ball Waltham 16 size advertisement from Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen's magazine January, 1911

IHC Member 665
posted
As an addition to the several Ball-related Cleveland views already contained in this thread, here is a very interesting postcard view that shows a little of the old Ball Building, formerly on Superior Avenue W. and occupied by Ball until 1911 (when the business moved to Euclid Avenue).

The large “S” visible at left, on the top front corner of the Ball Building, is the last “S” in the inscription “Railroad Watches”. The complete signage can be seen in one of the views of the Ball Building included earlier in this thread. Given the legend “Home of The Ball Watch” that has been applied to the original postcard, it can be assumed that the card was distributed by Ball as an advertising give-away. Larry Buchan posted another such advertising card near the beginning of this thread (in the third post).

This postcard view shows exactly how centrally positioned was the Ball Building, very close to Public Square and well within sight of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. When the move to Euclid Avenue came, that reflected a general re-focusing of business activity to that area of central Cleveland and Ball was following the trend. The iconic premises left behind are now long demolished.

Ball Building Side