Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Waltham Diagram Needed "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction to find either a diagram or photographs showing the winding & lever setting parts locations on a 19 Jewel ORRS Ball Waltham, I have one that I acquired totally apart & some of the parts I can not figure out how or where they attach. Are any other Waltham models similiar in parts, I have never worked on a Ball before.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I have tried searching the web & looked in what books I have but I can't locate anything.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I forgot I also wanted to ask if someone could tell me what balance staff this model took & where I might locate one?
Thanks again
Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Tom,

On the staff, you might try Brian Cavanaugh at pwpartsetc@pwatch.com or Tom Mister's "Dashto" for that and other parts.

About a diagram, I am not aware of one but we can probably provide images. As I understand it the Ball-Walthams began as a close relation to the 1899 Waltham and eventually the 1908 model.

On the merge below, the upper section shows the movement assembled and in the winding position, the lower image is the setting position. If you need any further images we will supply them.

By the way, in case you need it, we have the difficult to find setting lever for these watches available. Our new ones were engineered by Chris Abell and they are die struck from Stainless Steel. Design improvement and much higher quality than the originals as Dave Abbe explains in this topic: A "Tail" of two Riddle's or is it Riddell? They are available to IHC185 Members at $54.95 plus shipping, eMail us at ihc185@roadrunner.com for more infirmation.

Let us know if this gets you started and what else we can do to assist you further.

Winding and Setting Details for 16-size Ball-Walthams...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Lindell

Thanks for the images & the info., if someone has a photo of the opposite side of the plate it would help some more. These hepled but I have some pieces that must go one the other side under the winding bridge.

These photos got me started but I am assuming there is some sort of spring that causes the watch to return to the winding position after the lever is returned into the watch. I have a spring lever & a small disc with a hole in the center & then a 2nd hole at out the edge of the circle. Other watches I have done I will photograph them if they are different from others I have worked on, but this one I received in parts.

Thanks again!
Tom

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Tom and I were talking about this earlier today, if I understand correctly the image below may help.

Details of setting parts on the pillar side of Ball-Walthams...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

I can't believe you were willing to take your own watch apart for me! This photo along with your earlier ones are just what I need to get this watch back together.

For anyone out there who has anything negative to say about Lindell or the 185 come talk to me. In the very small amount of time I have been a member here Lindell has not only gone out of his way to answer alot of my questions & even take his own watch apart for me but offers to mail it to me if it would help & calls me whenever he thinks he can help me. I have never found an organization that has made me feel at home & welcome as much as the 185 has. I am very proud to say I am a member of such a fine group of people.

Thanks again for everything today Lindell!

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

That last photo did it! Just got the stem setting parts all back together & it looks like your photos & works like a charm.

Now to get everything else back together.

Thank you again.
Tom

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Great News Tom!

Happy Endings are good in the movies and even better when we're finishing a difficult assembly. Smile I'm glad it turned out well.

And thanks a million for your kind and thoughtful comments.

Lindell

Wink