Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball's Standard RR Watch Company "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Lindell,

Looking at your early 18 sz images for one of these in the serial range of 20501-20800, I can't quite see if your watch's balance bridge has the same damasceening as the other plates. I have seen a few other examples elsewhere but all the pics almost look like the balance bridge is plain. Is that true?

I am going to have an opportunity to get one of these next week and I am doing my research now so as to be sure what I am seeing.

thanks and,

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Interesting question Bill,

Looking closely at 17-Jewel "Railroad Watch Company" number 20577 in-hand I see exactly what you are getting at, in fact, the pronounced circular damaskeening we see on the full plate and barrel cover is not continued as-such onto the balance bridge. There we find a grooved "spiral-appearing" pattern such as found between the circular patterns and at first glance it gives a very similar appearance, so that depending on the angle from which you view the movement it can in some ways give the impression of looking the same all over.

If you have the luxury of being able to pull the barrel cover and balance bridge to check for numbers that is always wise. However, since the only other movements that look like these are others with the very same markings there is less chance of problems developing, but checking numbers for originality is always a good idea.

The unusual Double-Sunk dial shown with 20577 with "Ball's Standard, Railroad Watch Co., Cleveland, O." marking which matches the movement is the only acceptable dial, but I'm sure you are aware of that.

You are after a very important watch, as we have often discussed the "17-Jewel Adjusted" variant is the only "Railroad Watch Co." ever sold as a Railroad Grade movement.

Hope the "hunt" goes well for you my friend.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks,

Unfortunately, I have no skill with tools and wouldn't dare pull the bridge! Your info should suffice, but if the seller will pull it, I will check.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Lindell, Charlie et al!!

The hunt went fabulously! I am the kind of collector who gets nervous buying through the mail and prefer to see the watch or watches in person and pay for them on the spot. It was a 200 mile drive to Pasadena, CA but well worth it! Charlie put me in touch with Richard Bates (951) 454 2677. The man has over 3000 watches!! It was like going to a private watch show! I bought a 999E and a 999F!

The Dial on the 99E (Ball's Standard Railroad Watch Co. is absolutely gorgeous. My camera can't do it justice as it isn't good enough to focus perfectly but you should get the idea from the attatched picture. I will attach other pics in sequence.

posted
and now the movement, some light scratches but really in nice shape! My data base only shows 21 surviving from this run 0f 300 watches. One of them is a frankenwatch with mismatched plates. There may have been a few more of these made in the 90xxx range but I haven't gotten any reports of them.

This one gave me a little lighting problem and I don't know how to use photo shop type software.

posted
And now the absolutely gorgeous dial on the 999F!!

Now I have two! There is a problem with the movement though.

posted
Now for the movement on this 999F a Railroad Watch Company, Cleveland Watch. This run of 200 has 17 survivors known to me. There are at least two more 999F's reported in the 90xxx range but there movemnts are marked differently and are 17 jewels as opposed to the 16 jewels found from 20801-21000. Note someone has engraved 17 jewels on this watch's barrel.

Darn shame, but kind of amusing. Except for a broken screw that adjusts the balance fast/slow whip, the rest of the movement looks nice.

Sure it hurts it, but when they are as rare as this, sometimes you have to take it or leave it. Kinda wonder why it was done, it isn't professional enough to fool anyone.

happy hunting

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Nice watches Bill, too bad about the engraving on the 999F.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
glad to help bill, know you you have been looking a long time, best,

charlie

Posts: 209 | Location: Northern Arkansas in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005