Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The 10,000 Dollar Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi folks,

I am new to this board but a long time Ball watch collector, repairer, and researcher. In all the articles and discussions (including on this forum), I have never seen any information about how watchmakers obtained and referenced Ball watch replacement parts in the old days. Does anyone know how this worked?

For example, all Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, material catalogs and the like make no reference to purchase or identification of Ball model parts. This leads me to believe that Ball parts could only be ordered from Ball and serviced by Ball authorized watchmakers. Nevertheless, there must have been some kind of reference material that allowed such Ball-authorized watchmakers to identify and order parts for Ball watches. Does anyone know about the existence of such a reference?

As a person that repairs and has access to original parts for most other makes, it would be extermely helpful to obtain part reference information for Ball watches. As a historical question, I would also like to know how Ball intended for his watches to be serviced and maintained. In all my wanderings I have never see a Ball parts reference or catalog with part numbers or specs. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse Brossard
RailRoad TimeKeepers
jbrossar@charter.net
1901 Calistoga Drive
Hollister, CA 95023
NAWCC # 0168313

Jesse

Posts: 2 | Location: Central California in the USA | Registered: April 18, 2008
posted
Jesse,

Great question! I also have never seen a Ball parts list. In some cases, knowing the Hampden,waltham,elgin,Hamilton counterpart would take care of it, but there are parts in many models unique to Ball.

I wish someone else who knows more about this would see the question and respond.

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Jesse!

I guess the ten grand won't be coming my way either. Frown

Like Bill I have never seen such a list, today all too often parts for Ball Watches come from other Ball Watches, we may continue seeing a "survival-of-the-fittest" form of attrition on these.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi again,

Looking in an old Elgin genuine material catalog, I see part numbers for grade 333. To show my ignorance, I am not sure if the Ball Elgin is a model 333 or a grade 333.

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Hi eveyone,

I am happy to report that [two persons] are in possession of Ball Material catalogs. I have indicated my hope that this material can be shared with others and will let you know here if I receive more information.

Jesse

Posts: 2 | Location: Central California in the USA | Registered: April 18, 2008