Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Commercial Standard "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

The Commercial Standard grade watches are not discussed like the other grade Balls. I just received this 16s, 17j, adj., Commercial Standard B229281. Watch Runs very nice and is keeping good time. The Dial I beleive is correct for this watch, except that it is double sunk. I remember a discusion about Ball not using to many double sunk dials. Would that hold true for the Commercial Standard grade also?

I would like to know the year of production for this watch and any other infomation you care to give.

Thanks

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
The movement

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Keith,

Ball Commercial Standard watches are of excellent quality but unfortunately yet understandably there is not the level of interest in them as we find in the Official RR Standard and Brotherhood models. Your number B229281 is a Ball-Waltham from 1908 production. These are on a par with the Hamilton 974 and South-Bend 219 so they would have been sold for Interurban Transportation, Safety Forces and others who needed a reliable watch but were not subject to the stringent requirements of Railroad Time Safety Inspection.

By the way, that is not a true Double-Sunk dial as it has merely a pressed center rather than separations like a Double-Sunk dial would. You may have noticed that many Waltham dials are of similar design, your movement being a Ball-Waltham it is likely Waltham manufactured the dial to their standards.

About numbers produced, it would be nearly impossible to know with any degree of certainty as some Ball-Waltham runs were mixed between Commercial Standard and Official RR Standard movements.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002