• TWO Book Offer! •

Closed Topic Closed
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
UNUSUAL BALL 999 BLF SOLID 14K CASE "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A FRIEND OF MINE OWN THIS UNUSUAL BUT BEAUTIFULL BALL.I SAID UNUSUAL SINCE THE DIAL,ORIGINAL TO THE WATCH, IS AN HAMILTON ONE.
CASE SIMPLY GORGEOUS Smile
ANDREA

Posts: 185 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2008
posted
CASE..

Posts: 185 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2008
posted
MOEMENT..

posted
MOVEMENT..

posted
IS IT A BEAUTY?.. Smile

posted
Gorgeous movement and case.

I wouldn't expect this movement to be in a Ball case, and I am surprised that you think the dial is original to the watch.

Happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
The case is original to the watch since no screw marks..would not be possible that the owner of this Ball-Hamilton 999 BLF just wanted an Hamilton Dial?I do not know how many RR men could efford a solid gold case at those times.. Smile
Andrea

posted
Any 18 sz Hamilton or Ball Hamilton case would have the same screw marks! These early Ball & Co watches were not found in Ball marked cases.

If the owner wanted a Hamilton dial, he would have had to replace the original dial.

We have to be careful imagining what might be possible and then validating these mismatches.

Its likely that the original dial was damaged and replaced with a Hamilton dial.

A RR man might not be able to afford a solid gold case is a further argument that a BLF movement would not be in a 14k case.

However I believe that in later years some Brotherhood movements with mathcing dials were housed in 14k cases.

Still, it is a great movement and a nice case.

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Andrea,

For the last 40 to 50 years all Ball collectors have been aware of a huge amount of switching involving hundreds if not thousands of Ball watches.

This occurred as a result of people wanting to "improve" their watches in hopes of making them more desirable. Some of these were sold at inflated prices to the unwary. Most of the old timers here have personaly seen this happen and can attest to the practice. No one can document a mismatch as an original factory product.

There is also the honest repairman who decades later in restoring watches just used the best material he had available. The goal was a good running watch. I don't imagine anyone in 1915 would consider 21st century collectors desire for original on an 1896 watch!

If the buyer wanted a Hamilton dial, it would have been cheaper for him to buy a Hamilton 938 and still have the same quality.

I have a 74 corvette with an 81 tail. I suppose someday a future owner could fantasize that it left the factory that way.

happy hunting,

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Andrea,

Let me tell you Bill has been studying early "Ball & Co." movements very closely, he knows what he is looking at and I emphatically agree with him that the "Hamilton Script" dial on your friend's watch did not originally come on any Ball movement. Such a dial was not even available until more than a decade after the movement was made. What's more Ball sold every one of their Brotherhood movements with matching Brotherhood dials. We could speculate about why the dial was changed, but I have often explained that for many years watch traders and resellers have removed Brotherhood dials and placed them on non-Brotherhood movements to deceive the unsuspecting.

I have watched in horror while well-known dealers did things like this and cringe at the cover-stories they use to try and explain their nefarious tactics. Finding a correct Ball & Co. 18-size marked B. of L. F. dial would be quite a task, they are extremely rare these days. I can assure you from personal experience there are many more surviving Brotherhood movements than proper dials so the dials often command a very big premium.

That particular style Hamilton dial was used for the first two decades of the Twentieth Century only on lesser grade, not on any RR Grade Hamilton movements. An example of correct usage for that Single-Sunk dial would be the Hamilton 926 or 927 and that point is clearly explained in Hamilton advertising. Let us be clear, the dial in question was not originally sold on any Railroad Grade movement and Ball & Co. movements were absolutely not ever sold fronting any sort of Hamilton dial. May I suggest that you consult the "Early Ball-Hamilton 18-size Images" in our "Ball Watch Company Research Forum" for images of early Ball watches that might be helpful.

The hands appear to be reproductions as evidenced by the lack of polished center on the minutes hand.

Most likely the case is not original to that movement either. By the way, that is not a "Ball-Model" case but rather it is a highly desirable Jeannot & Sheibler case made for the Webb C. Ball Jewelry Company. (Bill is right the 18-size "Ball-Model" cases were first used about a decade later) Look at a properly cased example, this time the first watch shown in the "Ball-Howard, 1890s Beauty" topic. That J&S case is valuable and highly sought-after, why your friend's watch was put together like this is anyone's guess. We often say "Oh, if they could only talk!" about such things. And case-screw marks are often removed, this is especially true on gold cases.

Speaking of screws, that broken-off screw-head Eek on the barrel cover would be my first priority.

Lindell

Wink

Correct, original Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen dial...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
FIRST OF ALL I WANT TO SAY WELCOMME BACK TO LINDELL,I DO REALLY HOPE YOU ARE FEELING MUCH BETTER MY FRIEND Smile
I WANT TO THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR INFORMATIONS ALWAYS PRECIOUS AND DETAILED.
BILL,I AGREE WITH YOU THAT NO ONE CAN DOCUMENT A MISMMATCH AS AN ORIGINAL FACTORY PRODUCT.MY CONSIDERATION WAS DUE TO THE FACT THE BALL DID NOT MANUFACTURE MOVEMENTS AND SINCE MY FRIEND WATCH WAS MADE BY HAMILTON I WAS WONDERING IF THEY MIGHT HAVE MADE THE DIAL AS WELL TOGHETER WITH THE MOVEMENT FOR THIS WATCH.
I WANT TO THINK ALSO THAT HONEST REPAIRMEN IN RESTORING WATCHES JUST USED THE BEST MATERIAL THEY HAD AVAIABLE AT THAT TIME(FOR EXAMPLE MY ILLINOIS BUNN SPECIAL WITH A MISMATCH BARREL BRIDGE).

LINDELL,THE J&S CASES WERE MADE FOR BALL AND USED ONLY ON BALL HOWARD WATCHES?MAY I ASK WHY THESE CASES ARE HIGHLY DESIDERABLE AND SOUGHT AFTER?

FINALLY THE MISSING SCREW ON THE BARREL WILL BE A PRIORITY TOO,PROMISED! Smile

THANK YOU,

ANDREA

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I cannot add anything to these postings other than to say that Jeannot & Shiebler cases are usually very special. I will start a new topic in a few moment on that case maker.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Andrea,

I hope that my reply did not seem to be too severe.

Your first post described it as "original" and in combination with the word unusual could have led some to believe that this was even more desirable than the usual combination.

I grant everyone that I am fanatic about these watches.

There are so many imaginative claims for these mismatches to be original that I am prone to jump to the defense of the "correct".

Ball was a great believer in "standards" and self promotion. To think that he would put out a product (dial) with someone elses name on it is far fetched at best.

For that matter I would rather keep the standard of acceptance of original or correct very high. I would rather let the one in a million slip thru the cracks than open the floodgates for the thousands of mismatched and swapped examples that are out there.

BTW, I am not such a purist that I demand completely original. Correct is acceptable. I have taken a Ball and Co dial off of a Hamilton 940 and used it to replace a non Ball dial on a Ball & Co watch.

happy hunting,

posted
Bill,
no problem at all,your answers are very passionate and i do understand it Smile.I did not mean to make you "mad' or "increase" the value of the watch with my words...
As i said,My guessing on original dial was based only by the fact that the movement was made by Hamilton and "maybe" the owner of the watch just wanted an Hamilton Dial.I think in the early '900 the Buyer of a watch like that would has been pretty wealthy and could have easily decided wich dial to have on his watch whatever he liked the most,and that iam sure would have been accepted by any watch Company...included Mr. Ball..that's all my point.
But then,as Romans use to say,"VERBA VOLANT SCRIPTA MANET".... Smile...so if I do not have proven documents i understand guessings are just guessings..
Thank you,

Andrea

posted
I noticed that the Hour,Minutes and seconds hands are correct with the early Ball ones shown in the pictures.. ..Were those hands used mainly on Early Ball's Dials or also in other watches?They are very "particulars" in my opinion...

Andrea Smile

posted
Pierced hands were a singular ball feature. I believe some repro's or NOS were sold a decade or so ago.

I can't remember how you distinguish between them, I bet Lindel can tell us.

happy hunting,

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Bill,

You have more faith in my memory Roll Eyes than I do!

But yes, I have seem Pierced Hand Reproductions with plain minute-hand centers. The originals are a deep maroon color and will always have polished stainless minute-hand centers. That polished center feature is most important.

Andrea, you may find details of this topic and the links included with it of interest...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...726044861/m/88710882

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is my Ball BLF dial.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted